Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try out the new editing experience

Viewing page 8 of 9

214 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Tom Crowley October 14, 2019

In case anyone missed this (posted on Wednesday, so almost a full week before the event this time!):

Ask Me Anything with the head of Confluence. 

"I’m eager to get your feedback on recent improvements we’ve launched in Confluence."

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/Join-me-Pratima-Arora-Atlassian-s-Head-of-Product-for-Confluence/td-p/1199266

Like Dean Hall likes this
Bob Sovers October 14, 2019

Ok... I've posted 5 "questions" (or at least comments) to the page.  I guess that we all need to transpose our favorite gripe from this comment thread over to that page in the next 23 hours for our questions to get the chance at some visibility.

Like # people like this
Freek D'Hooge October 14, 2019

Again receiving a mail from Atlassian that they will be rolling out the new editor as default for new pages... .

They keep on forcing this buggy, incomplete, feature lacking piece of sh* software on their users instead of fixing it first.

Don't get me wrong, the old editor had it quirks and I'm not against change. But the new editor is just not production ready and is missing features that are present in the old editor.
I'ts a buggy, dumbed down version and should not be forced upon their users as if they are paying beta testers

Like # people like this
Helen Griffith October 15, 2019

Oh my word. Having taken a very quick look at the new design, I'm worried.

It's very pretty. It looks great, but the first thing I ALWAYS test out when there's a new release is how links work. This functionality just gets worse and worse.

In short, why can I not search for pages any more? Why can I only select from a short list of recently viewed pages. If the page I want isn't there, I have to hardcode a link to that page. This is a HUGE step back.

(Even the pretty aspect is flaky! In view mode, sometimes the links are highlighted in a little box, sometimes this doesn't happen and the full ugly link remains.)

In detail, here's my issue:

I have four different spaces with largely the same content. To simplify, let's imagine I have just two: development and live. The live space contains actual live, public-facing content. The development space contains content that is constantly being updated. When we release a new feature/bugfix/enhancement, I need to 'publish' a subset of new and existing pages. I go through a painful task of copying the pages from development to live. I use a command-line tool to do this. I have links throughout my content. These cannot be hardcoded links. I cannot have a link in a live page going back to a development page. Using the command-line tool, relative links remain within the correct space. Hardcoded links do not.

The new editor provides me with no way of searching for a page. I can see the ONLY last few pages I've looked at (and even this list isn't always up to date—even if I go and open the page I want to link to for the sole purpose of getting the page into that list—SERIOUSLY?!?!?!) OR I have to hardcode a link. I do not want to hardcode a link! This link will always go back to the development space and not be updated to the correct space.

Like # people like this
Dean Hall October 15, 2019

Helen, are we the same person? I feel exactly the same and your write up of it is excellent.

Six years ago the company I worked at migrated from MediaWiki to Confluence.

Then I setup my own company and we grew to fifty people. We're now on the way to growing to 110+ with our new project.

I've become so despondent about confluences direction that we're now just going to move our design documentation back to MediaWiki. It feels like a real step backwards, but that linking functionality you describe is really the core part of agile documentation processes like wiki's.

Thanks so much for your write up, I certainly hope someone at ALT reads it. It deserves that.

Like # people like this
Helen Griffith October 15, 2019

Hi @Dean Hall I thought I was the only person who uses Confluence in this (slightly odd?) way?! I have so many 'quirky' ways of doing things (currently I'm the only person who needs to follow this process—I'm soon to be joined by another colleague who I now have to explain this way of working!).

(As for using anchors, adding #anchor-name to a link automatically makes even a page link to a 'hardcoded' link in both new and old experiences... Unless you've found a workaround here? I think it worked briefly at some point but I can't figure out how anymore.)

Like Paul_J_McLeod likes this
Bob Sovers October 15, 2019

Helen / Dean 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/Join-me-Pratima-Arora-Atlassian-s-Head-of-Product-for-Confluence/td-p/1199266 

May offer you the chance to ask the "Head of Product for Confluence" that question directly. 

Like Kory Lamme likes this
jim mason October 15, 2019

Hellen

You are 100% right on how links SHOULD work.

Links should have the option to be absolute ( a standard url ) or a relative uri to the space. Most wikis do allow that.

Moving content from space A to space B can normally be done with less work - copy or update a page or section in PROD from a page or section in STAGING etc.

Like # people like this
James Gill October 15, 2019

Am I the only one that absolutely HATES the "improved" experience?  It really feels like 5 steps backwards compared to the old experience and if I'm forced to use this new one I'll probably stop using Confluence entirely. 

I've been holding off using the new layout tools because they are just plain bad.  For example, in the old experience I am able to add an image to a page and use the mouse to drag that image to where it needs to go.  In the new experience that image is completely static and unable to be moved once its on the page!  Whose idea was it to remove that drag-and-drop ability?

Creating Confluence Page Links in the old experience was PERFECT!  In the new experience, the Link Searching doesn't even do a full search of all of the Confluence Pages of the site you're working on, it uses the 'recently viewed' links to determine what you can find to create a link.  WHY????

Edit: Just read the reply above mine.  Seriously?  Links are static and don't dynamically reference pages now?  That was one of the game changers that completely sold me on Confluence and now it doesn't work?  It was literally impossible to run across broken links with the old version of Confluence.

Edit2: Ok I misread the above response. Links are still dynamic, and I actually opened a bug report to Atlassian about this exact issue today and suggest you do the same.  I put it as a category 1 issue because it seriously impacts my ability to create useful content if I'm not able to search my entire Confluence Site for links to add.

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers October 15, 2019

There have been a few comments about people abandoning the ship.  I wonder if Atlassian is seeing any noticeable drop in customers?

Like Michael Corvin likes this

Previously Confluence seemed like a real way to create a fully dynamic documentation reference for a simply Change Management Database.  If what I've read in this thread is true, I will more than likely be abandoning ship and moving to a more full-featured product like Sharepoint. 

I hate to do it because I've invested so much time and effort in creating what I have but there seems to be a very deep disconnect between whoever is in charge of product design for Atlassian and the people actually using their products.

Edit: Reading through the rest of this thread it looks like I'm not the only one worried here.  That's worth something I guess, but if the current state of the product backlog of atlassian is anything to go by I'm not holding my breath as to whether any of these issues are ever going to be fixed.

For many of us, the old Confluence experience was far better than the new one.

The term "improved experience" is unfortunately marketing speak that means I want to sell you what I did, not what you want.

The real concern for me going forward is this product management process doesn't work with a large base of customers.

There wasn't any real attempt to survey the customers on how we use the product ( they did look at inbound requests etc to be fair ). They also didn't offer design options or alpha versions with RFC ( request for comments ) for a period of time. If they had, this new editor would not work like it does today.

You can't please everyone in product management but it's clear a better job could be done getting the customer involved at the front-end of the process, not the back-end when you are trying to sell what you have created. One reason why enterprise open-source projects have stronger acceptance rates with customers.

Like # people like this

The simple fact that emoji's are included as a feature should be a clue that the new editor experience really screams "mobile first".  While I'm not entirely against this mindset, how many of use are actually using our mobile devices to edit content vs. simply view it?

And emoji's as a feature that anybody cares about?  Please stop.

Like # people like this
JoAnna Black October 15, 2019

Excellent point @James Gill

I don't even view my confluence site on mobile although I'm sure others do. I would be interested to see a survey of how many people would use mobile editing.

It screams "bad mobile first" as a model to me.  I agree 95% of content editing won't occur on mobile.

The editor should not be an "either / or" solution - mobile OR Web. It should support BOTH modes DIFFERENTLY. That's not hard technically unless your team isn't doing that type of engineering.

Atlassian has yet to be fully honest with customers about why they can't support the existing editor or it's equivalent for the Web. That lack of transparency hurts the product team's credibility.

Like Helen OBoyle likes this
Nicole October 15, 2019

Agreed. When I asked about the mobile experience for my users during today's AMA, I was referred back to the new editing experience on mobile, which I don't care about. How does that matter to my users? And if I'm creating/editing articles, I'm on a computer. My question wasn't really answered.

Like # people like this
Dean Hall October 15, 2019

I have been looking forward to the mobile experience - as I'm often travelling and I'd love to be able to read what our team is documenting.

However, worth noting:

• I'm the only person who actually is doing that in our 50 person team (I'm the CEO)
  • On mobile the only real way to get around pages is their internal links

On my second point, with the new editor it's very hard to link to existing pages (impossible to make uncreated links) compared to the old editor. So paradoxically they've made links more important than ever, but harder to add.

As a (well, former) software developer myself the unfortunate reality is that even if ALT were to turn around and agree with everything, it would take them months to implement any of this stuff. And our documentation is now already a mix of old and new systems. It's a real mess and for us, that means switching away from confluence.

Given the feedback I suspect they're aware of the issues but they're likely to take quite some time to fix. And rushing out the fixes is likely to enrage people even more. Such a shame though, I really liked Confluence and Jira.

Like # people like this

I actually opened a support ticket for this today after forcing myself to use the new experience for a bit.  Turns out that the issue with Links not displaying all Pages has been a known 'bug' since August 2019.

Check it out

I would encourage you (and any other real users of Confluence) to click the 'Affected Customers' button so that this bug that impacts core functionality gains visibility.  How its made it this far without being address I have no clue as it really is a core function of Confluence.

Tom Crowley October 16, 2019

Something I found interesting (read: infuriating) about dynamic links this week:

In our development tracking tool (Assembla) one of our testers added a link to a page in Confluence Space A. This was the wrong space, so I moved the page to Space B.

When I click the link, it takes me to the page in Space B. So far so good.

When a colleague clicks the link, he gets a page not found message.

Why?

Because he does not have permission to view pages in Space A. So even though he has permission to view pages in Space B, because the link is taking you through Space A first, I either need to correct the links (there are more than one), or give him permission to Space A.

(Part of this is down to our poor structure management, so we foot some of the blame here, but I'd expect dynamic links to be fully dynamic.)

JoAnna Black October 16, 2019

Maybe this has been brought up in another thread.

I have been trying to give the new editor a fair shake so started creating simple content with it. I have a page set up as a template that the end user creates a copy of for meeting notes. (This method works better for the main user of this template than using an actual template.)

When the user copies the template, none of the images in the body get copied!

Any explanation for this behavior or plans for change?

kpink October 16, 2019

I have a bug out there where it does not include labels and cannot use variables (like date) for page name.  No response from the team on if/when it will be fixed

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67916

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67020

Huw Griffiths October 16, 2019

And there goes the new page "old editing experience - going away soon" option from the site we spend $ hundreds on each month, even though it is not what we want. (hence we have dropped our spend by about half by moving new content to other platforms and de registering half our users) 

As I predicted in a previous entry, Atlassian are determined to push through the new editor, and there will be no reprieve for the old, regardless of what is said in this forum. If you cannot live with the new editor, which is really a new product, then I suggest that put yourself out of this drawn out torture and find an alternative.  

Came back today, tried to create a new rich content page, gave up....

Like # people like this
Tobi October 17, 2019

I like the new editor but I got a problem with old article. Is there any way to open old article with the new edior?

Tom Crowley October 17, 2019

Hi Tobi, 

In my experience, you need to get your whole Confluence site updated to the new editor before old pages will start opening in it.

However, if the old page contains any elements that are incompatible with the new editor, it will remain in the old editor until you remove them. For me, these elements were things like images and macros inside tables, and NOTE/WARNING panels in lists.

Scan through these comments to check that none of the changes are incompatible with your page. If it still looks good, I think you need to raise a ticket with support.

Tobi October 17, 2019

We're using the cloud solution.

There is only plain text on the old articles. I would like to re-format them but even if I cut everything out it still does not open the new editor.

If I cange the url at edit to edit-v2 it forces the editor to open but it says i can't save to server.

We're on the cloud, too. They still need to flip a switch or something on your site to default it to the new editor. Your best option is still support. Once they've switched your site over, all compatible pages will open in the new editor, regardless of the editor in which they were created.

Like Tobi likes this
Tobi October 17, 2019

Thanks! That is nice to know.

So based on some of the responses yesterday, I'm led to understand that the new editor has been two years in development. This development has apparently included testing and user testing. These users testing and feeding back on the editor during this time were either not representative of all use cases, or much of their feedback was ignored or wilfully disregarded.

Regardless of the amount of testing and trialling, Atlassian have released an unfinished product. This product replaces an existing product. It is not a new product. I cannot imagine that delaying the release of the new editor would have lost Atlassian any actual money in terms of new customers not signing up. 

I have to assume, then, that some internal pressure must have forced the release. Did developers get bored of working on an unreleased bit of software? Did management get an itchy finger and need to hit the launch button? Is what we got the minimum viable product? Or was it expected to be the end result?

It's too late for me, I'm locked in to the new editor, but you have to ask whether it would have been smarter to work on it hidden away for another year or two and then release it. You could have polled users to find out which macros they didn't want or use, or announced that you were getting rid of them and had the discussions before actually getting rid of them.

I know sometimes the only way to find out if something flies is to push it off the cliff, but you have to give it wings, first. 

The whole thing smacks of being released too early and being led in the wrong decision. The answers in yesterdays AMA suggest that Atlassian is still not willing to accept that the rollout was handled poorly, so I guess I'm done here. I'm pretty complained out. I want it to work, but if my suggestions are only going to be "communicate better" and "keep this macro", there's no point me continuing to make them.

Like # people like this
jim mason October 17, 2019

Perfectly put.

1> as a replacement product, the new editor should have delivered at least 95% of the existing functionality correctly when it was released months ago.  Looking at the product roadmap chart, it's not there yet months after release

2> it's the decision making process and the lack of transparency by product management for those decisions that is most terrifying. We still can't control product releases in our spaces in the cloud product. In effect, we remain victims to potential bad product decisions going forward. Reading all the responses from Atlassian yesterday, as a product manager, I see so many decisions that went the  wrong way. I don't see that changing in the future.

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 23, 2019

The "layout" functionality of the new editor which, instead of dividing the page into two or three different segments, drops what looks like a macro onto the page dividing the content... well, it just sucks.  And I mean sucks in a game-breaking, obnoxious way.  After putting content into one segment of the layout, it is virtually impossible to remove the layout without removing the content.  What if I decide to remove the layout altogether?  There's no way to bump the content out and preserve the formatting therein.  No f'n can do!  Better copy/paste that s**t somewhere and spend the rest of your natural born life redoing work you've already done.  Given how buggy the "old" editor is, I don't really mind a few rough patches here and there, but this one did me in.

Patrick Gregory October 23, 2019

This is the general theme that we've been experiencing with Jira and Confluence. They are very eager to release new and very hyped tools in order to compete, but those tools are not fully baked and someone has made a product decision to leave a large gap there, hoping that people will just live with it until they are able to catch up.

Deleted user October 23, 2019

Something of a "be thankful we have not altered it further" vibe.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley October 24, 2019

In trying to export pages to Word and PDF I'm now really, really feeling the removed ability to include in-line images (SPOILER ALERT: Emoji do NOT export. Hello document full of `:icon-cog:`), and wish oh wish I could stick things like Attachments macros in a `no-print` Div macro.

It's like here, use Confluence, it doesn't work very well, but use it anyway. Don't use it with anything else, just use it on its own. Use it, and love it. We love it, because we don't use it in the same way that you do. Were not really sure how you use it.

And now, instead of exporting final documents ready for release, I'm angrily commenting on here, because I need a break from trying to write a LOT of Word VBA macros so I can fix my documents...

Like # people like this
Huw Griffiths October 24, 2019

Then there is the, hey, we didn't know you used to copy pages and quite liked that the images copied as well. Now we can simplify that by making it so the images don't copy. What fun you will have adding those images back in again. 

Like # people like this

Oh, you wanted your Info and Tip panels to export to Word, too? Hah! Think yourself lucky we allowed the Notes one to slip through. What? You expected more than that?

Foolish child. Your inexperience and naivety is why you are not trusted to edit grown-up things like HTML and CSS.

@Avinoam Are we really expected to report all of the bugs we find? I don't think I have time to actually report them all. Can I assume that you are picking them up from these forums and doing it for me?

Thaaaanks

Like jim mason likes this

I may appear calm and collected, but don't let my good humour kid you. I'm steaming underneath.

Oh, @Avinoam +1 for the bugs you're carefully filtering out of our feedback:

When I add an Expand macro with an Attachments macro inside it, it always saves as medium width, even though I want it at narrow width, like the rest of my page. Doesn't matter how many times I change it, it always changes back.

errrrr, is full width now 2/3rds width? 

I dunno, there are three options for this macro. I want the left one, it gives me the middle one, and I'm too scared to try the third one...!

Kirsten Erwin October 24, 2019

@Tom Crowley - I was going to say that the third was the 'self-destruct option,' but at this point that may actually be preferred. 

"Nuke it from orbit". I wish I could find that option...

Like Amanda Scott likes this

@Huw Griffiths Just got hit by the copy page one on quite a big page. There goes my afternoon...

(Luckily just copy and pasting it all works, but, dammit, it shouldn't have to!)

Bob Sovers October 24, 2019

@Tom Crowley-- I haven't seen an Atlassian comment in here in a long time.  I guess after the AMA, they didn't want to communicate with us anymore!

Helen OBoyle November 3, 2019

@Huw GriffithsThe "images get left behind when a page is copied" phenomenon used to occur on Server, which our org uses, as well. It was fixed I think some time in the past year on Server, so presumably they know what the problem is and how to fix it, and will get around to it.

It's nice being able to see the contents of a macro while you are in the editor. Except sometimes you're using an Expand macro because the content is too long to practically display on the page. 

What would be nice would be the ability to collapse/hide Expand and Include macros in the editor. That would be nicer.

Roei Soudai October 24, 2019

All nice but when we need a decent PDF format, we can`t get it from the confluence and we need to use and pay for 3rd party...

At the end, we need to export these document and without a good option it is useless

+1 for this...

Charles Johnson October 24, 2019

Worst News I've received all month:

"To our Confluence admins,
We hope you've had a chance to try out the new editing experience on your Confluence Cloud site. Starting today, any new page you or your team create will use the new editing experience by default. For now, existing pages will continue to use the old editing experience.
If you need to use the legacy editor to create a new page, you can select Blank page (old) from the templates in the create menu. In about four weeks, we will be removing the legacy editor template.
To learn more about the new experience, please visit the links below.
• What's changing in the new experience and why
Â
• What features are coming soon or depreciated
Â
• How we're rolling out the new editor and what to expect
We hope you enjoy using the new Confluence editor. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free leave us a note using the feedback button while in edit mode.
Cheers,
The Confluence Cloud team"

Might as well clear my calendar for the onslaught of frustrated user calls.

Like # people like this
Freek D'Hooge October 24, 2019

received the same mail

they are really not listening to their customers, despite all the guarantees they gave in the beginning

Helen Gosper October 24, 2019

This is terrible news. And, in the light of this and other conversations, a bit of a flippant communication on the subject.

Helen Gosper October 24, 2019

When did you guys receive this email? and what list are you subscribed to? i didn't receive it, but I'm on a number of subscription lists.

I've not had this one either. Maybe it just went to Org Admins (which I am not)? 

You have to ask: have they learned absolutely nothing? Is there no intra-team communication there? Are they not reading the feedback? Why are they still asking for more feedback since they don't do anything more than "internalise" it?

Also, "in about four weeks"? So, what do we reckon. Will the legacy editor template be trashed before or after they activate the linkable headings? Or will it join a list of things that are done-but-really-not-done?

Like # people like this

Add an image to a table, go resize it to an appropriate px size  as I have done hundreds of times before but ... $%^#$??a

And yet another minor simple feature culled in the new editor simplification slash & burn.  So what, I have to now resize in whatever images/screenshot software I have? 

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 25, 2019

Being able to easily ensure that images are all the same or appropriate sizes more of a major feature in my opinion.  :(

Like # people like this
JoAnna Black October 28, 2019

Anyone else use the trick of setting a null link on an image to prevent it from loading the image gallery? Images can't be links anymore, so the click-through gallery is now unavoidable. I would like to suppress the gallery altogether on essentially all my pages. Any known workarounds in the new editor?

jim mason October 28, 2019

I avoid the problem by copying old format pages when I need a new page

Paul Joyce October 28, 2019

it gets better and better. if i use the Blank Page (old) it won't publish. it gives a restricted page notice on the publish operation, and leaves the page in draft. so i'm totally stuck in new editor land :-(

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019

What about if you copy a page that was created with the old editor and then change the title and blank out the body? Does that work for you. I've created a blank page like this in my instance so that I have a blank "old editor" page to create new pages from.

Like Helen Gosper likes this
Tom Crowley October 29, 2019

Just a warning on that - if they've migrated your whole site over, any blank/compatible pages are converted to the new editor. I'd recommend creating a page with an incompatible element (I've got a list with a note panel macro nested in it).

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019

There is a ticket in a short term backlog gathering interest of using nested macros in the new editor:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68323

If you want to get this feature back, please, vote for it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2019

Here is the new editor roadmap. There are links to planned fixes and improvements.

Tom Crowley October 30, 2019

Take note, Atlassian:

Dear GitLab users and customers,

On October 23, we sent an email entitled “Important Updates to our Terms of Service and Telemetry Services” announcing upcoming changes. Based on considerable feedback from our customers, users, and the broader community, we reversed course the next day and removed those changes before they went into effect. Further, GitLab will commit to not implementing telemetry in our products that sends usage data to a third-party product analytics service. This clearly struck a nerve with our community and I apologize for this mistake.

So, what happened? In an effort to improve our user experience, we decided to implement user behavior tracking with both first and third-party technology. Clearly, our evaluation and communication processes for rolling out a change like this were lacking and we need to improve those processes. But that’s not the main thing we did wrong.

Our main mistake was that we did not live up to our own core value of collaboration by including our users, contributors, and customers in the strategy discussion and, for that, I am truly sorry. It shouldn’t have surprised us that you have strong feelings about opt-in/opt-out decisions, first versus third-party tracking, data protection, security, deployment flexibility and many other topics, and we should have listened first.

So, where do we go from here? The first step is a retrospective that is happening on October 29 to document what went wrong. We are reaching out to customers who expressed concerns and collecting feedback from users and the wider community. We will put together a new proposal for improving the user experience and share it for feedback. We made a mistake by not collaborating, so now we will take as much time as needed to make sure we get this right. You can be part of the collaboration by posting comments in this issue. If you are a customer, you may also reach out to your GitLab representative if you have additional feedback.

I am glad you hold GitLab to a higher standard. If we are going to be transparent and collaborative, we need to do it consistently and learn from our mistakes.

Like Nicole likes this

The situation isn't exactly the same, but there are still some lessons you can learn. There are enough similarities to make the differences all the more obvious.

Michael Corvin October 30, 2019

LoL!  Yesterday I sent GitLab kudos for their prompt responsiveness - and contrasted it with Atlassian's total debacle with the 'new experience' editor...

As I've learned of more and more key functionality lost from poking around myself or here in the community, I'm basically telling our organization to give up on using our Cloud site for anything other than simple notes and rough material.   Of course, one might as well just use a simple wiki-wiki in the original spirit of the thing for that (e.g., like the simpler wiki in GitLab).

Like Tom Crowley likes this
Lee Bryant October 30, 2019

Perhaps the most basic feature of a wiki is to create a link to a new page from within the current page. This used to be achieved with square brackets around the name of the new page. I cannot for the life of me work out how to do this in the new editor. I really hope the answer is not to leave the page, create a new page manually and then go back and add a link.

Can anyone tell me how to make this bloatware work like a wiki?

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news here, but...

Lee Bryant October 30, 2019

OMG! Upvoted. But remembering it took nearly a decade to complete the ticket about uploaded JPEGs appearing in the wrong rotation, I won't hold my breath.

What possible downside can there be to including basic wiki markup like this in the new /slash commands ? Genuinely puzzling.

James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

"Genuinely puzzling" - British understatement? 🙂

I can see why & where Atlassian is going with this, but some of the product decisions don't make a lot of sense, but the argument appears to be, not enough people used them, or they confused some people.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2019

Here is another topic concerning the nested bodied macros limitation. Join it to share your use cases and find workarounds.

Bob Sovers October 30, 2019

I was looking at the pages on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence/ct-p/confluence sorted by most likes, and right under this discussion is:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/The-Confluence-editor-is-TERRIBLE-What-can-be-done-for-cloud/td-p/659342

Which was from 2 years ago about another editor release (I hope that it was not about the current "new"/"fabric" editor)

One thing that I did see on that page that may be useful:

https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact/contact-ceos --- This is a web form for entering short comments that the 2 founders of Atlassian have promised to read "all your feedback"   

I don't know if it will get any further then the AMA with Pratima Arora, Atlassian's Head of Product for Confluence Cloud (aka https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/CLOSED-Join-Pratima-Arora-Atlassian-s-Head-of-Product-for/m-p/1199266#M24)

Bob Sovers October 31, 2019

Soooooo... I submitted a comment on the .../contact-ceo web form, and it created a support ticket!  It is marked as CEO-5702.   The normal support tickets are JST-123456

It may tell you something that there are less than 6k contact-ceo tickets, while there are almost 500k regular support tickets.

Bob Sovers October 30, 2019

I (and several other actively in this discussion) took part in a "Focus Group" session with several Atlassian staff about the "new editing experience"  

One thing that came out of the discussion was that Atlassian does not actually look at the Jira task vote counts, but instead looks at the number of support tickets filed, which link to a Jira task.  I guess that we need to change our strategy of suggesting that people up-vote the things that we would like to see changed, and instead promote the filing of more support tickets!

My concern about that (and I voiced it in the focus group) is that the support tickets created are only visible to the person on whose behalf the ticket was opened for, and the Atlassian staff.  We all want to directly see that our feedback makes a difference with this product.

Like # people like this
Helen Gosper October 30, 2019

@Bob your post makes my request below about voting for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65344 'Allow adding attachments from a page or space on Fabric editor' somewhat redundant.

No need to vote, please create a new support ticket.

Tom Crowley October 31, 2019

Thanks @Bob Sovers ! I meant to post this yesterday, but my dinner was waiting for me after the call and I forgot! 

@Avinoam Can we get this communicated to the wider community somehow? I think this possibly causes some of the disconnect between what we think is important and what you think we think is important.

In addition to Bob's comments, though, raising a support ticket against a specific JIRA issue requires a lot more effort than upvoting it (I'm not even sure I know how to do it), so this still feels like we're being made to do a lot of work, particularly given that a lot of these issues now are for the reinstating of features people have been using for a long time.

Like # people like this
kpink October 31, 2019

It seems counter-intuitive to create duplicate support tickets for the same bug/issue.  they can tell by the likes and comments how many customers want a specific item addressed.  Do they really plan on selecting a issue to fix and then when it is going back and searching for all the duplicates and closing them referencing the issue they fixed.  Seems like a lot of non-productive work.

Like # people like this

Yeah, it does. That's why I think we need greater clarity on this. It's what they told us, and it's good we know it, but it doesn't feel like good practice. I've spoken to app developers who use JIRA reports of votes to guide development of their apps.

I get that it's hard when you've got however many thousand tickets to look at votes for, but that's their problem, ultimately, and they can't keep passing it on to us.

Like Helen OBoyle likes this
jim mason October 31, 2019

@Tom Crowley  You are correct.

It's funny for the company that builds JIRA not to use the votes feature they created to accurately prioritize user demand for features.

I know from experience building support ticketing systems that matching separate tickets on a few dimensions and text search is less accurate than using the voting system they created.

Ironic

Like # people like this

Realize, this is just the Public-Facing Jira project.  Atlassian doesn't actually seem to be working on them, ie recording progress, etc.  They use an internal/Atlassian-only Jira sight for the actual work tracking, but you can only see proof of this when an issue gets linked to an issue that requires authentication.

Tom Crowley November 1, 2019

Well, now I'm just conflicted.

atlassian-comment-vote.png

Helen Gosper October 30, 2019

For anyone who hasn't seen this JIRA isuue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65344 - 

Allow adding attachments from a page or space on Fabric editor

Please take a look and vote early and often.

Like Sharon Helms likes this

This discussion is on PAGE 8, and on this page of comments and replies, I have counted 25 separate names (Thank you for participating), of which 2 are "Community Leaders"

However, there have been ZERO! responses from any Atlassian staff.  If you are monitoring this, please give us a sign that you are still out there!  

Is there a prize for the person who posts comment 200?

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hi all,

Just to clear up some confusion here. Adding support tickets for an existing public ticket (generally by referring to it within the opened support ticket) helps with increasing the priority at which Atlassian looks at public facing tickets, but isn't instead of votes. Atlassian takes many parameters into account when prioritizing public facing tickets. There's absolutely no intention to put the burden on you as the customers. We offered this up as a recommendation, but it's not a must. Apologies if this may have caused any confusion within the community.

I sincerely hope that after our call yesterday with the focus group, it's clear that not only are we out here actively listening, but we deeply care and are always looking for ways to better improve how we communicate changes and generally communicate back to requests and bugs. Thank you all for being so passionate and involved on this topic. 

Best,

Avinoam

Like Helen Gosper likes this
Tom Crowley November 1, 2019

Congratulations on being Post 200! There is no prize, but I feel that this is kinda poetic.

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events