Changes to Confluence Editor release

Viewing page 2 of 2

48 comments

Comment

Brandyn July 26, 2019

A few of the big issues for me,

• Fixing images so you can have them in-line and adjust sizes/add borders
  • Moving sections of the page layout
  • Do a full size page layout section (only allows columns?!?!?)
  • Inline attachments
  • Allow PDF's to convert into a link
  • Shortcut (Ctrl+alt+1 etc) for heading levels

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

@Brandyn thanks for the feedback!

A few quick updates:

1. Heading levels now have shortcuts as you mentioned.
  2. Full width is now available - please have a read through this community post we just posted this week. It also have our roadmap pages which I think you'd enjoy following.

Thanks,

Avinoam

Erik Kramer July 29, 2019

This "new editor" should be rebranded as "alternate editor" so as to not be confused with the official editor. It has 1) way too many problems 2) needs to go back to the beginning to correctly story board this and ensure that its development yields the correct features and 3) should be cast as something only recommended for alpha users who are OK with testing code on the fly. It was wholly inappropriate to throw this editor out in the wild to be tested by the user community, especially because any content created within was not compatible with the legacy editor.

Again: Bad Atlassian, bad Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Rohan Sherrard August 20, 2019

I hate using Atlassian cloud products, first JIRA was mangled and now they're doing the same to Confluence.

I just don't get how shoddy the Product team can be to keep messing things up so much for the users.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer August 20, 2019

Really wish Atlassian (corporation) would make a statement about some of the sentiments expressed on this issue. Their user base is screaming for attention and all we have heard is crickets chirping.

Perhaps we should try Twitter? LOL

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman August 21, 2019

@Avinoam it would be great if you could chime in once more, and try to calm down the crowd 😆

Like Erik Kramer likes this
Erik Kramer August 22, 2019

Yup, understanding the strategy would be valuable to understand where we are heading here. 

Like JoAnna Black likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2019

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback! Completely appreciate this isn't an easy change and I can assure you that we are working around the clock to always make things better. My sincere apologies if I haven't been able to respond to all the feedback as it comes in. I absolutely go through every single comment and we take each and every one seriously as we review them within our teams to learn what we can improve.

We're in the process of putting together a separate community post to share soon that talks a bit more about the path forward of the rollout of the new editor as many have had questions on what will happen with old pages, migrations, which features are coming etc.

We'll absolutely make sure to post it in the comments for visibility once it goes live.

Thanks,

Avinoam

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman August 22, 2019

Hi @Avinoam, thanks for the reply.

What amazes me most, and I am sure most of the visitors on this page, is that in all communication Atlassian seems to hold on firmly to the chosen path, instead of apologizing for the caused inconvenience, rolling back and going back to the drawing board.

I am sure we can all see the new editor looks nice, and some of the functionality would be welcome, but in its current state it is not workable and it seems like Atlassian is alienating their loyal user base. Bugs I reported over half a year ago are still persistent, rendering the whole thing unusable for me and over 50 of my corporate clients, who I made switch to Confluence.

In my native language we have a saying "beter ten halve gekeerd dan ten hele gedwaald" (better turned at half than to get lost altogether), which seems to apply here.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer August 23, 2019

Hi @Maurice Pasman

Your reply brought back many fond memories of working with your fellow countryman. Dutch expressions are the best and speak truth.

Like Maurice Pasman likes this
Helen Gosper August 29, 2019

Hi @Avinoam thanks for the comment. I saw a copy of your reply in the https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Try-out-the-new-editing-experience/td-p/1000813/page/6?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=post#U1166657 post and replied there - but now see I should have replied here, so here it is again:

I really think the frustration with the new editor has been exacerbated by what seems to be a lack of response from Atlassian to a lot of very valid concerns. So people will appreciate this reply. Having said that, your team needs to get some firmer communication out to users ASAP. Hopefully you have understood that this noise is beyond a typical whinge about a new release.

The message your team needs to take from this isn't that users are struggling with change, or that we are reluctant to embrace change; rather, it is that we have lost basic functionality that we all used, all the time.

You also need to know that as a workaround for a variety of use cases many of us have resorted to copying old pages and striping out content in order to be able to use functionality such as: ability to set picture size and add effects, ability to use an image library for technical documentation, anchors, ability to use old templates (which we all spent ages developing in the first place to save our companies time), troubles with tables, I won't list them all. So - as for what will happen with old pages - I sincerely hope the answer is 'nothing'.

I look forward to seeing more communication from Atlassian on this soon.

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman August 29, 2019

The message your team needs to take from this isn't that users are struggling with change, or that we are reluctant to embrace change;

I also did not care for that response. As a matter of fact, some of my customers embrace change so much, they are considering moving the content to SharePoint.

What does it tell you when SharePoint becomes the better alternative?

Like # people like this
Helen Gosper August 29, 2019

Surely things would never get THAT bad.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer August 30, 2019

Never, ever mention Sharepoint here. You might just burst into flames ;-)

Like Nicole likes this
Cameron LaBorde-Zank August 30, 2019

@Avinoam Change is totally fine, completely welcome, but paying for a beta product with no option to opt in OR out was not fine. Spending a year waiting for a final product and constantly finding obvious production blocking bugs, not fine. Asking for timelines and getting stonewalled every time, not fine. Yes some people don't like change, but almost all of these posts are about addressing serious blockages in workflow and usability. Almost everyone responding are responsible for departments who are hamstrung. So, no, this isn't the same as twitter changing a font size, or spotify moving a button, this is: I cannot do things that I could do in the last version that now prevent me from doing my job. That's a big difference.

Also this is the third or fourth "we are putting together a post to address these concerns" that has happened since the new editor rolled out. 

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer September 3, 2019

I feel your pain brother.

Stefan Moser August 27, 2019

Just to add my current gripe: Will the Code Snippet in the Fabric editor ever be brought up to the level functionality the (by now truly ancient) Code Block macro has? I'm specifically missing the title and some of the other formatting options. Or is this just more roadkill in the ongoing quest of dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator?

Pato Moschcovich August 27, 2019

Up until a few hours ago, I was able to still create new pages with the old editor if I used a particular template

Now it always wants to use the Fabric editor, which is buggy and limited

Please allow me to keep creating new pages with the old editor until the Fabric editor becomes usable

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Joao Correia August 27, 2019

How do I go back to the old editor?

I cant believe this shit, Atlassian didn't learn anything from the release of this editor a few months ago, it made some improvements but the underlying bad approach is still there.

At the time I sent emails to the CEO, VPs and whoever I could find with the exact issues and why it should go back to drawing board ... but we're back.

Make NEW FEATURES FU&$%^# OPTIONAL!  PHASE PEOPLE IN !

I work with Confluence all day long this shit is making me have second thoughts ... why do I depend so much of this software anyway? Maybe I shouldn't.

Pato Moschcovich August 28, 2019

There is a "trick" that somebody posted here in the forum a few months ago:

https://[YOUR INSTANCE].atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/[YOUR SPACE KEY]/pages/create

I've been trying that with no success this morning... Confluence is telling me that the page cannot be saved, but I've seen similar problems before and I can't say for sure if this time the problem is caused by trying to use the old editor

Erik Kramer August 28, 2019

Not sure what the real answer was here but, after much frustration, I ended up creating new pages with the old editor and copy/pasting new editor content into the new pages. I took some pleasure in shaking the dirt off my heels;-)

Steve Terelmes August 28, 2019

Try this:

https://[instancename].atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/[spacekey]/pages/create

This only seems to work on blank pages. I have not found the trick yet for template pages.

Nicole August 29, 2019

Ugh! I am having to duplicate current pages to get the old editor. I tried the new editor and am unable to add a border to images or resize images by entering a pixel size. I don't want to eyeball image sizing. Such a bummer the editor has been so dumbed down. I feel like user experience wasn't even considered.

Like # people like this
Paul_J_McLeod September 4, 2019

OK I'll be positive:

Please somebody tell me how the new editor experience gives me:

- 'Undefined Link' functionality that allows me to create pages from the link later

- Ability to read the wiki markup

- Ability to support CamelCase or [Target Page Link]

If it doesn't, then this is no longer really a wiki.

So, please give me the old experience (as an option) until it is ready.

I'm creating a new site and I don't wish to muck around with using non-wiki tools for dynamically collaborating on content. I chose Confluence for a reason.

thomas.ohrbom September 4, 2019

"Undefined link" functionality is currently not available. This was reported back in February. No response from Atlassian as yet. Follow and vote here:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65634

Bob Sovers November 8, 2019

Better yet, file a support ticket.  The Atlassian staff may react to that more quickly.

Jeff Scattini September 4, 2019

Whoa whoa whoa... @Avinoam just got the notice that Atlassian is increasing their pricing by roughly 36% per license. https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/future-pricing/cloud-pricing/pricing-tables#jira-software

And yet you haven't made enough improvements to the editor to make it actually usable? 

And yet you haven't addressed the wide swath of complaints and user cases mentioned here, on twitter, and everywhere else? 

And yet you are doubling down on making all of us pay for your beta testing? 

I know you are not in charge of licensing specifically, but you need to address this. You need to let us know when functionality and usability of this product is going to be improved. You need to explain to us why staying with Atlassian is better than migrating off of the service entirely. 

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer September 4, 2019

I have a call with my company's Atlassian rep on Tuesday. This whole experience and the price structure will figure prominently in our discussion. Tough way to meet the new rep. :-(

Like Jeff Scattini likes this
Jeff Scattini September 4, 2019

If your rep has any insight you can share, I'd love to hear it. 

Like Nicole likes this
Erik Kramer September 4, 2019

Perhaps. I'm mostly hoping to get a live person to share the "unhappy customer" story. Since this person is more on the sales side, perhaps we can get money to talk for us.

Erik Kramer November 8, 2019

BTW, the rep was "just a sales guy." He wasn't helpful in representing this issue.

Like Jeff Scattini likes this
John Tolle October 18, 2019

Maybe they're rolling it out to different cloud accounts slowly.

Keep in mind that if you put in today's date, you just get the date (when you should get "Today").  It's only when you choose tomorrow's date or the day after that you get mismatched labels "Today" and "Tomorrow" respectively.

I still see the problem on our instance and I just added test dates to my test page.  For Atlassian, if you want to check it out (you'll have to look at it today if you want to see the issue, of course):

https://physoft.jira.com/wiki/spaces/~john.tolle/pages/485883931/New+Editor+Issues

(It's near the bottom of the page.)

John Tolle November 8, 2019

P.S. I'm not sure how my reply ended up here.  It was meant as a reply to the post on the previous page about the dates not working quite right.

Bob Sovers November 8, 2019

I think that either the AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Pratima Arora, Atlassian's Head of Product for Confluence Cloud ( https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-discussions/CLOSED-Join-Pratima-Arora-Atlassian-s-Head-of-Product-for/td-p/1199266 )

Or the panel discussion that @Jessica Taylor set up caused Atlassian to regroup or huddle up.  We have seen very editor-directed comments in the discussion boards from Atlassian staff.  

Maybe @Avinoam will respond?

Jeff Scattini November 11, 2019

Casting a wide net for answers before I make a support ticket for this: 

@Avinoam or @Sunnyat Ahmmed - It seems that most of the conversations around the new editor are closed, but how are we supposed to convert old Anchor macros to these new linkable headings? I use a LOT of anchors in my templates. And, if I want to have a consistent look to my wiki, I need to convert all old pages to the new editor. How do I do that for macros that are disabled in the new editor? I'm using Anchor links as the example, but this has wide-ranging implications for us...

But focusing on Anchors, and leaving out for the moment that a lot of my anchors aren't tied to headings, how do I convert existing anchors to your new linkable headings? Because I am looking at thousands of individual pages and multiple links per page. 

Sooooo? 

Like Kit likes this
Ray Myers December 13, 2019

Today, I sent an email to all employees of my company instructing them "DO NOT USE THE NEW WIKI EDITOR"  because of its negative impact to productivity.  We provided instructions on how to make a copy of a page using the Legacy editor and rename it to avoid losing features on new editor pages.

We provided a Create New Blank Page link in the space shortcuts of every page with this URL:

https://{wiki-url}/wiki/spaces/{space-name}/pages/create

...to make it easier to do this.

It pains me to think of how many hours of productivity we have lost each day since the new editor was forced onto us.  I am actively researching an alternative to Atlassian Confluence - ideas are welcome.

2019-12-13 10_56_40-DoctorLogic Glossary - Confluence.png

Like # people like this
Jeff Scattini December 13, 2019

I am also researching other alternatives than cloud. Confluence Server is an option, as I don't think they will mess with that code base in the near future. But I just cannot trust Atlassian anymore. 

Steve Terelmes December 13, 2019

Have you figured out a way to do the same for all the template pages also?

Like Ray Myers likes this
Marc Mercer December 13, 2019

My personal choice for years has been xwiki.  It is actually even more capable than confluence, and it's open source with the dev team on irc.  This answer won't be here for long, I'm sure, so hope you see it before it's too late.

Ray Myers December 13, 2019

@Steve Terelmes  - I have not found a way to do Template pages, but we had lots of old templates that are still unaffected.  For new spaces that need templates, we create a normal page (in old format) with instructions on how to copy it.

Despite all this overhead - it still saves us time since the new editor lacks so many features.

Like # people like this
Helen Gosper January 9, 2020

@Ray Myers we do that do. It sounds ridiculous, but I agree it still saves time. 

I came back after the hollida break determinied to give the new editor a fair chance, but the fitst thing I tried to do was a sentence of techicial doco where I refered to a button in our software with a little product icon. OF COURSE there was no way I could insert a product icon. Back to the old editor.

John Tolle January 10, 2020

Yes, you can, but it's not intuitive.

I was shown this solution some time ago, and posted it on the first page of this post, but I'll repost here so you don't have to go hunting:

To add inline images, use the custom emoji option.

1. Click the emoji (smiley face) button
  2. At the bottom, click + Add your own emoji
  3. Follow the steps to upload your image
  4. Add your “emoji” inline just as you can with any stock emoji
Like Tom Crowley likes this
Tom Crowley January 10, 2020

(Note: There are several bugs and/or bad expected behaviours, unsurprisingly, with emojis, including them changing to the star emoji when used in Include and certain other macros, and the inability to publish them to Word/PDF.)

Tom Crowley January 23, 2020

(Update: These issues seem to stem from, or at least be linked to, Confluence converting pages back to the old editor to export them to PDF. Go figure.)

Erik Kramer December 13, 2019

Three months from now will mark the one year anniversary for the new editor and I fear that the user community will still be beta testing the editor with no end in sight. I see no evidence that the usability of the new editor is actually converging nor do I see any evidence that Atlassian is owning up to this general quality issue.

Perhaps that is why the prices were jacked up a couple of months ago... to pay for a QA team that does not yet exist.

Tom Crowley January 9, 2020

I thought *we* were the QA team...!

Like # people like this
Brandyn January 9, 2020

New wish list

• Make Macros Work On Mobile  not just the app
  • Restore missing macros
  • allow images to be links again
  • make dropping images into areas with text work better.  It takes multiple tries to get it to sit how and where you want
  • bring back the ability to add a border to images so that light colored images aren't washed out.
  • make macros work on mobile so that all of our customers who look at our public documentation actually see things
  • make it so you can set a page width so you don't have to click every page section 2 times to get it to full width i.e. make it go to the same size as the previous section.
  • allow changing pdfs to links
Like # people like this
Helen Gosper January 9, 2020

Particularly these items:

• make dropping images into areas with text work better.  It takes multiple tries to get it to sit how and where you want
  • bring back the ability to add a border to images so that light colored images aren't washed out.
Like Nicole likes this
Brandyn January 10, 2020

New wish list

• Make Macros Work On Mobile  not just the app
  • Restore missing macros
  • make macros work on mobile so that all of our customers who look at our public documentation actually see things
  • make it so you can set a page width so you don't have to click every page section 2 times to get it to full width i.e. make it go to the same size as the previous section.
  • allow changing pdfs to links
Koral Ilgun January 22, 2020

Has the Atlassian team done an analysis of how many customers were using those options that are now gone?

For instance, why is the {noformat} option gone? What is the replacement?

/code is not the same as {noformat}. I can't turn off line numbers with /code.

Like Kelly Killeen likes this

I can answer the first question for you.

Short answer: No they haven't.

Longer answer: They claim to have looked at the number of pages using *some* of the macros. They decided that this was a sufficiently small number of pages to justify cutting them out. The number bandied around was "fewer than 1% of all pages used this macro" (I forget which one they were talking about). 1% of all Confluence pages across all Confluence customers is still a lot of pages.

An analysis would involve them looking at why people use the functionality, what the effects of removing it would be, how important the functionality is to the user, whether another method can be used to reach the end goal, whether the pages that used it were concentrated in certain customers or spread out across all customers, how free or simple-plan customers used them, and how these customers skewed the usage figures.

So, no. They did not conduct an analysis. They decided what they wanted to do and, in some cases, retrofitted nonsense justifications to them.

Like # people like this

Of course, I could be wrong. And if I am, I apologise - I wouldn't want to accuse Atlassian of not analysing the effects of such a big change.

If I am wrong, however, and they did perform an analysis, then we must assume that they fully understand the impact of these changes, and are wilfully wrecking our Confluence sites.

Maybe @Avinoam, who has been fairly quiet of late, can chime in here. It's been a while since I last heard him explain why they released the new editor. Maybe he's made up some better reasons since then?

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer January 23, 2020

I agree with you completely "1% of pages is a lot of pages" especially when you need them. If 0.5% of the screws holding my car together fell out, I would be quite upset.

Let's not forget that 1) the editor was rolled out without prior notification of the feature loss and 2) it was willful.

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers January 23, 2020

I would bet that their "analysis" was by a different department....  a 1% increase to their churn rate would not hurt them if they could get a hypothetical 2-4% increase in new licensees with all of their "new and improved" hype.

They are actively trying to drive away the troublesome customers who push the limits of their software.  If they can find new sheep that are easier to shear, why bother with the old goats!

Jeff Scattini January 23, 2020

I have no where else to vent this, so here it goes:

Was asked, by Atlassian, to attend a meeting where I could give feedback on the editor, etc. This was after I had to contact support to request them NOT to implement the new editor on my instance. 

But, hey, actual contact with an Atlassian seeking feedback? I'm very, VERY interested in this. 

So far, I've been waiting 15 minutes for the 30 minute meeting to start. No contact from Atlassian. No attempt to reschedule. Just ghosted. 

This just seems to be a distillation of how Atlassian views their customers. 

Like Kelly Killeen likes this
Tom Crowley January 24, 2020

Real smooth. I'd love to say I'm surprised and shocked, but...

Who was it with? Did they ever show up? I was in a group call with @Bob Sovers and a few others a while back. All we got were empty promises and a few defensive comments.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer January 24, 2020

What amazes me is the full year of effective silence on Atlassian's part. They apparently do not comprehend the importance of this issue and the need to preserve the "good will" that has been built up by users like us over many years. This silence and apparent inability to tackle this issue head-on is poison for that good will. 

In my case, I have championed adoption of Atlassian tools at my previous two companies and invested my personal capital while doing so. With my "faith" shaken, I cannot do so any more. I will use the products because they still have value but my faith that they are better than other vanilla tool vendors may no longer exist. I'll need to ponder that over a glass of wine;-)

The above emotional content is entirely an outcome of my recent discovery that I cannot show images as a link (yet another feature lost in the new editor).

Like Nicole likes this
Jeff Scattini January 24, 2020

I will say that I did end up rescheduling the meeting and gave my views. However, it was with a support tech whose manager, who also jumped on the email thread begging to reschedule the meeting, didn't bother to attend. 

Emotionally, it felt great to express my dissatisfaction to a representative for the company. Do I think it will affect this disaster of a product change? No, no I do not. 

At this point, it seems like those original renderings from that Sonic the Hedgehog movie have more customer appeal than this editor.

Steve Terelmes January 24, 2020

Erik - I'm not sure how to PM you on this community. But I might have some ideas. If you want to connect shoot me an email steve.terelmes@expium.com

Kelly Killeen January 28, 2020

I just got off a webinar where I asked - three times - what we are supposed to do about content created using macros that no longer work. They refused to take my question.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer January 28, 2020

@Kelly Killeen : Hah! I was on the same seminar and asked the general question of "When will the new editor catch up with the old editor features?" That question wasn't taken either. 

It was clearly a sales seminar and not a Confluence instructional seminar.

I have been an advocate in my company for using Jira/Confluence and have been struggling with slow adoption (as was referred to during the seminar). Many are pushing Microsoft Teams because it's free. I find it hard to advocate for what I found to be a much superior ecosystem when I question how it's products are managed.

Like # people like this
Kelly Killeen January 28, 2020

@Erik Kramer  I am in the same boat. I have been pushing Confluence for years, and now I feel like I'm eating crow.

I hate the thought of going to Teams and/or Sharepoint, but it's getting really difficult to stick with a product that has essentially become unusable.

John Tolle February 27, 2020

I recently needed to use some colors that were more like the actual colors I needed rather than the anemic 7 options (including black!) that are offered by the fabric editor.  I thought, "Hey, let's see if there's anything like an HTML macro available."

And there is!

I was grinning with anticipation.  I can finally put some proper formatting in place.  It's not something I need on every page, but on many.  So, in the macro window, I put in some simple code:

<span style="color:red">Thing</span>

Then I clicked the Save button, and got this gloriously unsatisfying message:

You do not have a valid ac-html-macro app license.  Please sign up for a free trial or purchase a license through the Atlassian Marketplace.

Awesome.  So now, a feature that was once part of the cloud offering is now only available as a purchasable add-on.

Come on, Atlassian, seriously!?

@Avinoam we need to have another meeting.

P.S. OK, so it's only 50 cents per user, but still, this should be a core part of the product, there for advanced users to handle situations that cannot be handled through normal formatting, and that's a much bigger issue with this editor than with the classic editor.

Erik Kramer February 27, 2020

All of this a la carte stuff is significant, adds delay and frustration, etc.

I hear you brother.

RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

It's not about the money. As the Confluence Admin for a very security-conscious organisation, every plugin has to be researched and approved - individually - by our IT security team. 

Sure, I have to jump procurement hoops too, but that's minor in comparison. 

Rob Stanich March 26, 2020

I have used confluence for 10+ years and I absolutely do not like the new editor.  I believe that it is worse in every way possible in terms of functionality:

• It forces content to be centered when it would look better left justified as it did (still can't find a way to change this).
  • Cannot find any option to easily attach a file to a page and then have a link on confluence (I used to click the link button and get the attachment that way, but it gone).  I now use a hack around method to do this.
  • We often use JIRA filters where it does (for example) "12 issues" - this is NOT WORKING AT ALL.  When editing the JIRA filter I pick the usual "Display Options" -> "Total Issue Count" and it does not save that way.  I end up with the full list and re-open it and it again has "Table" selected.  Broken.
  • Other options I used to have that were easy to find are now difficult.

Sure it has more eye candy while editing the page, but it is not worth the compromise of functionality, ease of use, and the visual appearance of the pages when viewing them.

I wish there was a way to go back to the old version or at least to support what it used to do and not have things broken.

thanks.

Like # people like this
Erik Kramer March 26, 2020

Rob: I suspect there will be little attention being paid to your perspective which many of us share. Many of us have been quite vocal to Atlassian about what we perceive to be a serious product management misstep and poor customer engagement as they try to pick up the pieces.

I was the primary advocate getting Confluence introduced to my company and have told Atlassian that I am no longer an advocate after getting it introduced at my previous two companies. I even mentioned a shift to Microsoft Teams for my company. This got no response either and I doubt that we will when we don't renew our license at the end of the year.

I really don't get the rather obvious shift in Atlassian's support culture starting about two years ago. Regrettably what used to be an awesome company with products that sell themselves is now spiraling downwards as it has lost it's innovative edge.

Like # people like this
Rob Stanich March 26, 2020

Thanks Erik, it is nice to know that I am not alone.  As you have, I have also advocated the tools and stood them up in multiple organizations, and now am running into issues time and time again.

FYI I just worked around some of the problems by cloning an existing confluence page that still is in the old format, moving it to where I need it, and then editing it using the old editor.  Pretty sad to have to do this, but there is seemingly no other option. 

Atlassian, can you hear us?

John Tolle March 26, 2020

Rob, I hear you and have my own disappointments (as I've shared above, starting about a year ago).  To address some of your issues, though:

• It forces content to be centered when it would look better left justified as it did (still can't find a way to change this).
    You can choose the "full-width" option (it's a clickable icon at the top-right area of your content) to make the content take up the entire page rather than just a thin column in the middle.  I think this current default was decided upon for the supposed improved readability; most blogging sites and many Internet web pages in general use this approach since everyone has wide screens.
  • Cannot find any option to easily attach a file to a page and then have a link on confluence (I used to click the link button and get the attachment that way, but it gone).  I now use a hack around method to do this.
    Click on the three-dots in the upper-right corner and choose Attachments.  Yes, I preferred the simple paper-clip used in the older format/editor.
  • We often use JIRA filters where it does (for example) "12 issues" - this is NOT WORKING AT ALL.  When editing the JIRA filter I pick the usual "Display Options" -> "Total Issue Count" and it does not save that way.  I end up with the full list and re-open it and it again has "Table" selected.  Broken.
    Yep, this is broken for me, too.  I think there is an existing issue for it, but you could always add one.  I cannot imagine how large Atlassian's backlog is for this stuff.
  • Other options I used to have that were easy to find are now difficult.
    You might as well be specific because you might find others who can provide tips or shortcuts or feel the same way you do and perhaps you could get enough of a following for them to change things.  For instance, I preferred the old editor's way of showing the last font color you chose so you could select the next text you wanted to recolor and one-click the font-color button to set it to that last chosen color.  And oh, man the reduction in colors drives me insane.
Rob Stanich March 27, 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for the tips - a question on the first point:  I saw the option to make it full screen, but it still centers the content.  The old pages we built look far better for what we are doing by aligning the content to the left instead of centering each piece of content.  Can the page be left aligned?

Freek D'Hooge March 27, 2020

Rob,

Left aligning should work.

You can set this on the page level with the <--> icon on top or as default in your settings (settings --> editor --> check "Enable full-width as the default for new pages."

In both cases the text is then left aligned (when pasting images you still need to select the alignment for each image)
And the full width is not available when you create a template (only when you create a new page on that template)
This is tracked in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68312

John Tolle March 27, 2020

If you're missing "Page layout" from the legacy editor, what you want is the new version of those, which are just Layouts.  They work the same way but act like blocks of content rather than a giant table.  Otherwise, they still let you have a big left column and a small right column, etc.

Freek is right, though.  Left-aligned is the default, at least for text.  If text is centering by default, that's odd enough to warrant a call to support.

Erik Kramer May 14, 2020

Oh joy. Just rediscovered a bug in the new editor from last year (page properties report related). Still not fixed.

Should I even bother to file a bug mentioning that I cannot select options for the PPR macro in the editor?

...sad and lonely in Boston (but hey, I have my health) ;-)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events