I have a bunch of issues being created on a schedule and sometimes I get duplicate email notfi

Peter Shiner [Tractor Supply] February 23, 2017

...but the weird thing is they aren't really duplicated and the issue key is re-used from a while back....

In the example below.  I get two email notifications a minute apart for the same "The Scheduler" job entry with issue keys 1000 issues apart and showing the same issue fields like created date, etc.  Clearly supposed to be the same issue in the email.  But in reality inside JIRA, the only one is the real and new issue.  The other is a "The Scheduler" issue created about 3 weeks earlier from a different job with a different title, etc.  Its issue history doesn't show any cloning or other action.  Just the initial create.

Any ideas?

If the mail queue was jammed up I would at least expect the email to match the actual data in the issue when you look at it later.  ( I don't see any evidence the mail queue was jammed up. )

If the issue was being 'changed' and re-written after the email was sent I would expect to see both evidence of change in the actual issue as well as 1,000 new issues being created at the same time.  ( I don't see evidence of either. )

So I am left thinking somehow "The Scheduler" is getting confused sending out the emails?

Email Notification A:  ( Summary:  "Peak 10" not matching email message )

Received: from ... ; Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:01:00 -0600
Subject: [JIRA] (ITS-24732) 11AM - Check Sales Audit Dashboard
X-JIRA-FingerPrint: 6893b5741d3ce3d6c31777c86124e7c6

Issue Type: Task
Assignee: IT Ops
Created: 2017-02-16 11:00                                                      ( the issue in JIRA says 2017-01-24 )

Email Notification B:

Received: from ...; Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:00:03 -0600
Subject: [JIRA] (ITS-25707) 11AM - Check Sales Audit Dashboard
X-JIRA-FingerPrint: 6893b5741d3ce3d6c31777c86124e7c6

Issue Type: Task
Assignee: IT Ops
Created: 2017-02-16 11:00                                                           ( this is correct )

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maciej Kucharek February 24, 2017

Hi Peter,

just wanted to let you know we're currently investigating your issue. This is quite a surprising issue, as The Scheduler does not send any e-mails by itself. Instead, The Scheduler simply creates issues and the e-mails are being sent by JIRA based on your Notification Schema configuration.

Are you using JIRA Data Center or a single-server version? Is it ok if we reach out to you via e-mail to troubleshoot your issue in more detail?

Best regards,

Maciej from Transition Technologies PSC

Peter Shiner [Tractor Supply] February 24, 2017

Server version, Yes, pshiner@tractorsupply.com, Thank you for the quick response.

Peter Shiner [Tractor Supply] February 27, 2017

So the resolution in a quick summary:  "Add-On working properly" and "Operator Error"

This add-on, "The Scheduler", was working well and the duplicate email messages were coming from a second test instance that was occasionally turned on.  A couple things helped me get confused about this situation:  a) the test instance host name was very similar to the production host name and so it was not clearly obvious the email originated from a different machine.  This portion of the email header was trimmed out of the examples above so the information was right in front of me.  b) I had been using the same httpd proxy, and not resetting the base URL, in front of both the test instance and the production instance and so when checking the links from the emails they pointed to the same address.

I want to thank support for quickly responding and being very positive and working to help figure out the issue I was having.  They really provided great support for their product and we have had a great experience with it for the past several years.  It seems like 3 days to respond, but this actually was support over the weekend and so I would rate my experience with them as 5+ stars.

Thank you.

Maciej Kucharek February 27, 2017

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to hear you've been able to nail it down! Thanks for your kind words and feel free to reach out to us if you experience any other issue.

Best regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events