Does JETI allow a non-user to watch an issue?

Omar Shehab June 25, 2013

I had the impression that JETI allows a non-user to watch an issue. I was not able to do this in my trial JETI instance. The documentation says nothing in favor of or against it. Any idea?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 26, 2013

Hi Omar, as I described in the other question you posted on AAC, non-jira watching is possible with JETI.

I quote my answer here too:

It is indirectly possible using JETI. You add non-jira email addresses to a custom field not to the list of watchers. You can add comma-separated list of email addresses to the same field.

Then you set upJETI notificationswith a reference to this custom field as Recipient or Copy Recipient.

After this is configured, JETI will send event notifications to the email addresses in the custom field for each issue. And this is essentially watching as non-jira user.

What does not work with JETI is allowing a non-jira user browsing issues anonymously and adding their own email address to watch the issue. This would be heaven for spammers, so it is clear why it is not possible.

Concerning the "security breach", it is better to say that you can accidentally send issue attributes to recipients (jira or non-jira users) who would not be allowed to view the issue.

JETI can address this by allowing you to set a config option to disallow external (non-jira) users or jira users not having permission to view the issue. Setting either of these options, you can limit the accidental "security breach" cases.

Regards,

Tibor

Omar Shehab June 26, 2013

Thanks. Makes good sense.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

JETI does let you breach security and send email to people who cannot see the issue (there are valid use cases for doing this, I only mention security breaches to remind you to think before using it)

It does NOT work for watching by simply allowing you to wedge email addresses into the watchers (or, at least, last time I used it, it did not) - that's a core system field that requires user accounts to exist as Jira users. You have to configure these "watchers" as part of the JETI setup from memory

Omar Shehab June 25, 2013

So, you mean non-users cannot be watchers even with JETI, right?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events