Can i change the Issue ID to just numbers?

Danilo Ferrari September 19, 2017

Hi, 

When a our customers call to us, the call is received by a smart menu that offer him many options to direct the call for an especific department.

If the customer has a issue opened, he cannot play the "issue ID" on his cellphone (or telephone) because the ID has letters. So, he cannot give us a previously knowledge about his issue or we cannot provides a information (i.e. Status) to him. Always some call center member will pick up the call, generating costs.

How can we resolve this ?

Thank you in advance.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

I'm afraid not.  The entire Atlassian stack assumes the issue key will always be <project key>-<sequence>, and that project key must be an A-Z followed by one to nine alphanumerics.

All I can think of to "fix" this without code is make assumptions.  Place all your support calls in one project, then you can assume that the <sequence> in the issue key is all they need to key in, because you know the project key and - part of the issue key are not going to change.

If you want to get into coding, then you could do something a bit more clever.  Without putting much thought in, I would think about generating a numeric sequence for each project doing support like this.  So a user typing in 04 1234 would have your code say "oh, project 04 is DAVE, so I know the issue is DAVE-1234".  Or, if you don't want to write that code for name/number mapping, just use the (immutable) project ID from the database

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2017

Not really. http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=8177344 is Oracle tracking bugs in Java using JIRA as the backend. Notice how the actual issue has the key JDK-8177344. It was too hard to make JIRA not have a project key at the start of the issue key IIRC

Danilo Ferrari September 19, 2017

How can i do something like that in my scenario? 

The customer will can introduce the number in my IVR ( Interactive Voice Response)? 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Danilo,

The only possibility would be assign numbers to projects, in which case the issue key would be of the form 123-4567. Would that help? The regular expression defining project key format is found in WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties.

Brant

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events