eazyBI: Creating a Sprint Burndown that only looks at Story Points for Stories

Alexander Stevens July 12, 2018

My company has problems with the dev team putting Story Points on Sub Tasks. (Yes, I know it's a problem. Yes, we are trying to get them to stop.)

In the meantime, to clean up this reporting in our eazyBI dashboard, I am trying to make the burndown chart only show Story Points for Stories. However, when I essentially copy the included burndown functionality by creating new calculated members for Story Points such as:

([Measures].[Story Points resolved], [Issue Type].[Story]) as Story SP Resolved

to use in a copy of Cumulative Story Points Resolved, switching [Story Points resolved] for [Story SP Resolved]. I do this for [Story Points change], [Story Points history], [Cumulative Story Points resolved], and [Story Points remaining]. 

However, I keep getting very weird numbers. Am I just doing something dumb? Should these new calculated members take a filter?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2018

@Alexander Stevens, I am sorry you have waited for an answer so long!

Your approach seems correct - putting the Issue Type in a tuple with measure should display this measure only for the specified issue type. 

Meanwhile, an even faster way would be to put the Issue Type on Page and select a filter to show the metrics only for Stories.

If you still experience problems, please contact us directly to support@eazybi.com with more details (screenshots, if possible) of why the numbers seem incorrect for you.

Lauma / support@eazybi.com

Deleted user March 25, 2022

hi @Lauma Cīrule jumping in on this conversations, I am also currently making a sprint burndown specific to only subtask.

i have put the issue type on the page filter and run the table first but the coloumn "story points resolved" doesn't show any numbers, even tough in 20n march 2022, there are 4sp out of 17sp subtasks has been resolved. The table looks like this
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 15.31.29.png

as a result, the storypoints burndown for our subtask looks like this

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 15.29.25.png

i'm looking forward to hear back from you, thanks!

Roberts Čāčus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ,

Just like in Jira, in eazyBI, sub-tasks follow their parent throughout Sprints. Are the four resolved Story points from sub-tasks whose parents are still in the same Sprint

For this reason, sub-tasks are not that reliable with the SP metric. In such cases, the Epic->Story relationship is a better option.

Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events