What is the Time in Status in Jira 🚀

landscape.jpg

Time in status in Jira makes it simple to generate reports that show how much time each issue has spent on each status, assignee, team, or project. When we’re planning a workflow, time is one of the first things we consider. We predict how long it will take to complete a task based on its complexity and resource capacity, and then set delivery deadlines. 

With time in status data, we can get actual time spent and compare it to planned ones. Moreover, we can adjust our efforts during the process if we know how time is consumed.

Questions that time in status helps to address:

• How long team members have spent finishing some task?
  • How long an issue stays in progress or in review?
  • How is time spent shared between different assignees?
  • What is holding issues and the reason for delays?
  • How to get a cycle or lead time for your issues?

That info provides you with the ability to analyze time-consuming and optimize your workflow. Jira is a treasury for monitoring time in status. It offers a variety of built-in solutions and Marketplace tools.

How to show time in status in Jira

To get time in status, you can switch on the Days in column option. The number of dots on the card shows the number of days an issue has been in a column. The feature is available for classic boards. You’ll need jira-administrator or project-administrator access to enable it.

Days in Column.png
Downsides: it represents the days only regardless of the specific time. There is no option to exclude weekends. Also, you should understand what number stays behind the dots. E.g., 1 red dot → 5 days · 2 red dots → 8 days. 

Other ways to see time in status with Jira:

• Custom field and automation rules.
  • Control Chart. Select the required status → identify the story number you want the time for → you’ll get the time spent on each state per story (issue).
  • Average time in status gadget for the ones who like visuals. 

How to calculate time in status in Jira

If you’d like to get advanced reports with calculated data, Time in Status for Jira Cloud add-on comes in handy. It helps to obtain time spent automatically and analyze it in a convenient format. 

What reports you can get: Assignee Time, Average Time, Status Entrance Date, Time in Status per Date, Status Count, Transition Count, Cycle and Lead time, and others including the Pivot table. 

The most widely used report is called Time in Status. It determines how long issues have been staying in each state. 

Time in Status Jira.png
It’s convenient to choose the working time (exclude weekends, holidays) and format (days, hours, minutes).

Time in Status Chart in Jira.png

Also, this report can be presented as a chart both inside the app and on the Jira dashboard.

Jira's length of time in status

Let’s overview how to get other time spent reports: for assignee or groups, cycle or lead time.

How long each assignee has been working on a particular issue

assignee time.png

You can monitor the productivity of employees and make future decisions to improve team efficiency based on this information. 

Additionally, you can calculate Assignee time for a team of several people, such as developers or L1 support. You can create a separate column in the time report, where all summarized data for this User group will be displayed.

Add new User group:user group.png

Get the results:

user group l.png

How long some issue was in particular statuses (Cycle, Lead time)

Get the summarized time for several columns by grouping statuses. For example, you need to get time an issue was in testing by developers and QAs. 

Select statuses you want to group and enter the name of your custom column.

cycle time jira.png

The result:

status group.png

Most frequently, the Status group is required to calculate the cycle and lead time

Cycle time refers to the time it takes for an action to complete from start to finish. 

Lead time covers the time between receiving a request for an action (not the start of work) and the completion of that action.

Here is an illustration if you want to understand the difference better.

cycle lead time.png

You have the ability to choose statuses which you want to be included in a cycle or lead time depending on your workflow.

unnamed (9).png

Users can analyze all these reports in detail by exporting data to Excel, Google Sheets (XLSX or CSV format), Power BI.

Another option is to place those reports on your Jira dashboard with Time in Status Gadget.

Takeaway

Time in status reports in Jira will give you a way more transparency into how your team is spending their time. By comparing numbers for different assignees, you can perform a critical analysis. You'll be able to figure out who's causing the delays this way. 

Try time in status reports to identify and scale up positive, productive changes.

Would you like to try setting up Status Time reports without installing an add-on? Try the demo version of the add-on Time in Status for Jira Cloud here 🚀

14 comments

Comment

Jon Widén April 18, 2023

Does Time in Status consider working hours per day configured with Advanced Roadmaps? E.g using 8 hour days, is the cycle time 8 hours or 24 hours for a task with status "In progress" from noon one workday until the next?

Mariana_Pryshliak_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Jon Widén 

The add-on has the Calendar feature. So you can set up calendar according to your working hours/days, and exclude weekends or non-working hours. You can find more at the documentation page.

4 (5).png

Like # people like this
Slava Gefen June 6, 2023

Hey @Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_ Thanks for the article!

Does your App have the ability to set a kind of 'Time in Current status' field that shows time in current status in live?

And then to have an opportunity to see on a dashboard the value of this field in live?

Thanks in advance!
With kind regards
Slava

Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2023

Hey @Slava Gefen 

Our add-on allows you to track time in real status on the dashboard immediately just after setting it up. Add-on also supports custom fields and you will see the time in the status in live. 

Hope it helps, 
Valeriia

Like Slava Gefen likes this
Tom Shimshock July 18, 2023

Hello @Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_ 

It looks like you can use Conditional Formatting to highlight Time totals that are greater than a certain amount of time but is there a way to get a count of how many unique tickets this applies to and \ or a way to only display those tickets?

For example, say I have 200 open Jira tickets and I want to know how many of those are greater than two weeks old from the date they were created to the present date \ time that I'm running this report and say in reality this applies to 50 of those tickets.  Is there a way to use Time in Status to either give me the count of "50" or setup the report in such a way that I would only see those 50 open Jira tickets that are older than two weeks old?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 18, 2023

Hi  @Tom Shimshock  👋 

Welcome to the community!

You are right, we use Conditional Formatting.
But also we have the way to display unique tickets that are greater than a certain amount of time. 
For this you can try The Status Entrance Date report that shows the date an issue has moved to a particular status.

With this report you will get dates when the issue has entered each of the statuses on the grid as it’s shown below.

Знімок екрана 2023-07-17 о 15.05.31.png

On the chart, it shows the number of tasks that have entered a status on a certain date - for example, 1 task out of 5 tasks has entered the Progress status for the first time on the 23-rd of May.

Знімок екрана 2023-07-17 о 15.05.46.png

Hope it helps 😌
Valeriia

Slava Gefen July 25, 2023

Hey @Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet , thanks for the answer! 🙏

Our add-on allows you to track time in real status on the dashboard immediately just after setting it up.

It's only for issues on a board, right?
And how often and by what event it's updated?

Hope it's clear!
With kind regards
Slava

Jeff Traveller August 1, 2023

Hi @Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_ 

I see the Time in Status report provides a summarised view of time spent at each stage. Is there capability to breakdown this report to display backward stage transitions? i.e. Issues moving back stages and needing the summarised view to be broken out and stage times itemised?

Marketplace Partner
August 10, 2023

@Slava Gefen Hey again 👋 

Custom field can be displayed on the layout on the project board or if you have a gadget on the dashboard, you can display the custom field there as a column.
Custom field is updated every hour.
But if you take a task and move it to another status, the custom field will be updated immediately (within 1 minute).

For more detailed information, I suggest you book a demo session or write to support to get an answer right away!

Hope it helps 😌
Valeriia

Like Slava Gefen likes this
Marketplace Partner
August 10, 2023

Hello @Jeff Traveller  👋 

There are two solutions to this issue
1. it is to take into account the reopen of the task, for example, how many times the task is from the status QA testing -> in progress. this can be done on the 
Transition Count report (the report gives all transitions, but you can choose 1 or two transits you need)

image (4).png

2. to take into account the time (history) of iterations with Pivot Table View
for example, the task spent 20 hours in progress. but this does not mean that it was thrown into the status for 20 hours and transferred, the task walked through the statuses and, accordingly, for a total time of 2 hours in progress, it was 3 times
first iteration = 10 hours
second iteration = 9 hours 59 minutes
third iteration = 1 min
image (5).png

For more detailed information, I suggest you
 book a demo session or write to support to get an answer right away!

Hope it helps 😌
Valeriia

Slava Gefen August 10, 2023

Hey @Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet Thanks for the answer 🙏

Custom field can be displayed on the layout on the project board or if you have a gadget on the dashboard, you can display the custom field there as a column

The last question:
It means, if I don't have a board and I only want to use it on any issues I want, then it's not possible, right?

Thanks in advance!
With kind regards
Slava

Marketplace Partner
August 10, 2023

@Slava Gefen 

If you are using Jira Software place where you have issues called "board".
And i'm talking about that you displays the Time in Status custom field on the task cards through the card layout.
+ if you includes a custom field, the addon creates a property in each task of the board of your project

Hope i wrote it clear and feel free to ask me again if it's not :)

For more detailed information, I suggest you book a demo session or write to support to get an answer right away!

With kind regards 😌
Valeriia

Slava Gefen August 22, 2023

Hey @Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet hope you are doing well! 🙏

Sorry, that I started conversation here, but maybe it'll help others if they have related question 👍

If you are using Jira Software place where you have issues called "board".
And i'm talking about that you displays the Time in Status custom field on the task cards through the card layout.

Thanks for the clarification!
Yep, I understand this. But we want to have this custom field on all issues in project (not only on issues in board).

Do you mean we have to edit filter query of board to add 'Time in Status' on issues that are not currently related to this board?

Hope it's clear!
With kind regards
Slava

Marketplace Partner
August 23, 2023

@Slava Gefen Hey again 👋 

Of course, no problem :) 

When you switch to the boards of one project, you will always see the Time in Status button (where custom fields are configured or not configured)

That is, you will be able to use Time in Status custom fields for absolutely every task of every board of the Classic type project

Hope it helps 😌
Valeriia

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events