Using VSCode with the Atlassian SDK

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2019

VSCode has grown over the last few years into a pretty slick IDE and I see that Atlassian has given VSCode a little bit of love by providing integrations with Jira and Bitbucket. There are a couple of pages for setting up IDEA and Netbeans to work with the Atlassian SDK but sadly nothing for VSCode. So, I ask the community. Have you had success getting VSCode to work well with the Atlassian SDK ... especially with things like Intellisense, project builds, and debugging? If you have had success with using VSCode and the Atlassian SDK please share. Maybe we can set up an unofficial VSCode tutorial of sorts.

2 comments

Comment

Philippe September 10, 2019

Hello, I was struggling today and found a few things:

- for basic intellisense, the solution is basically to follow the Netbeans instructions that you linked to (it could use updating and Mac instructions BTW).

- for VSCode integration, someone has created tasks: https://gist.github.com/john20xdoe/ea48b9282e82e34de471ef0c9acde01c

Philippe September 11, 2019

A better solution may be to use `atlas-mvn` in VSCode. It's possible to set the binary in VSCode "Maven for Java" settings, but unfortunately it's broken on MacOS because of how `atlas-mvn` passes arguments to `mvn`.

Philippe September 11, 2019

Well it actually works to point VSCode's "Maven for Java" to use `atlas-mvn` binary, but on MacOS you need to run VSCode with `--user-data-dir="some/location/without/spaces"`

Satvik Sharma December 23, 2019

I managed to get this working. 

Start by installing the Java Extension Pack: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vscjava.vscode-java-pack

Setting up Intellisense

1. Find where the atlas-* programs are installed by running ls -l $(which atlas-mvn) to get the actual location.

On my Mac I got /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.3.6/bin
  2. Go to that directory to find the bundled version of Maven, it'll be above the bin folder.

For me it was /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.3.6/apache-maven-3.5.4.

3. Inside that directory the settings.xml file is in the folder named conf.
  4. Set the Java > Configuration > Maven: User Settings option in VSCode to the full path to that settings.xml.

In my case it was /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.3.6/apache-maven-3.5.4/conf/settings.xml

Setup Maven

1. See my comment below to set atlas-mvn as the executable.

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2019

Awesome! That will make development with VSCode so much easier. I've submitted a ticket to Atlassian to consider creating an official walk-through for setting up the SDK with VSCode.

Satvik Sharma December 29, 2019

Thanks for doing that @Davin Studer Is that a public ticket that we can comment on or is it a private DEVHELP ticket?

Because I did figure out what needs to change in atlas-mvn so we can just drop it in instead of unwinding where everything's set up.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2019

I don't think it is a public ticket. I just went to their documentation for IDEA and click the link to comment on the documentation. I think it is using a Jira issue collector to create tickets on the backside, but I don't think it is publicly accessible.

Like Satvik Sharma likes this
Viktor July 7, 2020

Thanks for the instructions

Like # people like this
Satvik Sharma November 26, 2020

Figured out a few more things:

* Set Maven > Executable: Path to the atlas-mvn binary

For me it was `/usr/bin/atlas-mvn/`

This makes the pom.xml file work properly in VSCode

* Install https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=dgileadi.java-decompiler so 'Go to Definition' isn't useless.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events