Structure - How to wrap text in a particular column

AJ January 9, 2018

I would like to be able to wrap text of a particular column (this one field has 2 - 3 sentences).  How to do that?

11 answers

6 votes
Kathleen Li February 1, 2022

+1 to this functionality. We absolutely need it! 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2022

Hi, @Kathleen Li. Welcome to the community!

Assuming you are using Jira (and Structure) server or data center, your timing is excellent. :) This feature is coming very soon.

Someone will post an update to this thread when it's available.

If you'd prefer to be notified directly, or if you're on Jira (and Structure) cloud, drop us a note via support@almworks.com.

Thank you for using Structure,

-dave 

Like Roman P likes this
Kathleen Li February 2, 2022

Thank you!!! That's amazing. I am using JIRA, how to confirm that I am using Structure server or data center? 

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2022

Hi, @Kathleen Li. Take a look at the URL in your browser. If it looks like <something>.atlassian.net you’re on the Atlassian cloud. Anything else, you are almost certainly using the Atlassian server or data center platform. 

Generally speaking, it’s good to know which one you are using. There are some important differences between Jira cloud and the on-prem editions. This is also true for the marketplace applications, like Structure.  You’re more likely to get the right answers if you let the community know which platform you are on.  👍🏻

Like David Niro likes this
Sara Tucker March 29, 2022

Any notes on when that might be coming for cloud? 

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 29, 2022

Hello @Sara Tucker ,

No notes to share for Cloud just yet.  I did add your vote to our related dev task.  We will be sure to follow up with you here when there is something to share.

Best,
David

Like # people like this
Adam Miller April 11, 2022

Hi @David Niro please add me to notifications, as well!  Thanks so much.

Brittany Jackley February 28, 2023

Hello. Any updates for the cloud version on this?

Like # people like this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 6, 2023

Hello @Brittany Jackley ,

I do not have an update to share, but I have added your vote.

Best,
David

Kanishka Karunanayake June 8, 2023

@David Niro  please add my vote to having this feature for the cloud, thanks!

Achi Solomon September 13, 2023

Please Add my vote for cloud as well

Achi Solomon September 13, 2023

This feature request is from Jan 09, 2018, is it possible that 5 years later, it is still not enabled on the cloud version??

1 vote
Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2023

Hello everyone,

The Text wrapping functionality was just implemented in Structure Cloud. Please feel free to try it. 

if you need assistance with it or have questions about anything else Structure-related, please reach out to us directly at our support portal.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
Tempo

0 votes
Annalea Cortes May 22, 2022

Another couple of months have passed without an update.  Can you provide an ETA please?

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2022

Hi, @Annalea Cortes.  Welcome to the Atlassian Community 👋

Text-wrapping was recently introduced in the on-prem editions (for Jira Server and Jira Data Center) of Structure. To learn more about this and the other new features in that release, see the version 8.0 release notes.

To learn which on-prem version of Structure your organization is currently using, look for the "Info" icon on the bottom right-hand side of the Structure panel.  Click on it and you'll see which version of Structure you are using.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 2.59.25 PM.png  

Unfortunately, if you are using Structure with Jira Cloud, this feature is in our development backlog for now. To add your voice to the list of those who are interested in this feature and be notified, you can reach out to the Structure team at structure@almworks.com.

Hope this helps,

-dave

0 votes
Roman P February 4, 2022

+1 I am waiting too

0 votes
Peter Strömberg October 27, 2021

Would really like to have this! We use Structure Gantt for technology Roadmap, but vertical zoom is not possible, neither to wrap summary.

Would be great to extend customization of graphics, in general for structure. We are currently looking for alternatives, due to this. 

for example, selecting own color of gantt chart bars, same as own brand color. Or color based on specific value. 

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
October 28, 2021

Hello Peter,

The multi-line field visualization feature is in our backlog and once it is released, we will let you know.

As for selecting colors on Gantt charts - we also have this feature planned but it's hard to say when exactly it will be implemented due to its challenging nature. But we can also notify you of any news about it.

If you have other feature requests and ideas that you would like to suggest, please feel free to contact us directly at support.almworks.com

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like # people like this
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
November 29, 2021

Hello Peter,

We just released Structure.Gantt 3.1 and among other things it contains a new feature - the ability to pick a custom color in Slice configuration. You can create a new Slice in the chart's configuration, add the Appearance section and pick your own color for certain tasks.

Best regards
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

Hi, everyone.  Thanks for the feedback!

We will definitely notify everyone who's watching this thread by posting here when something is available. 

If you want to be notified directly, please contact ALM Works support.

Best,

-dave 

jeremyaturner July 2, 2021

Thanks Dave! We also really need this. It's been 3 years since this thread started. Any idea on timeline for this feature?

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

I'm sorry, @jeremyaturner. As we 'speak' there's no definitive plan yet. 

Mentioning it here on the Atlassian Community does count. But adding your request/voice to an ALM Works support ticket is even more valuable for us because it enables us to engage with you in a discussion about your specific use case, which further informs the product owners.

If you haven't already done so, please reach to our support team on this topic, too.

Best,

-dave 

0 votes

Same here - we would like to have this possibility to wrap text. We use Structure for planning/scheduling and there is a need to be able to see the full description as we're then directly adjusting the overall plan in Structure-Gantt

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2020

A potential workaround for displaying the full content of the structure would be to use direct URL to Printable Page.

https://<yourjirabaseurl>/secure/StructurePrintable.jspa?forestSpec=%7B%22structureId%22%3A210%7D&viewId=11

210 here is Structure ID (can be found in the structure's URL), 11 is view id - view ids can be found through URL: https://<yourjirabaseurl>/rest/structure/1.0/view

The printable page will not update with Structure, you'd have to reload it for updating, but it should be sufficient for some presentation purposes.

Regards,
Egor

0 votes
Khoa Nguyen September 10, 2020

I'd like to vote for this as well Having the ability for a column to wrap text is ideal when reviewing details at a high level

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2020

Adding your vote too, Khoa, thanks

0 votes
AJ January 10, 2018

This does not really help with my usecase.  I want to use the dashboard structure gadget to show that status of all my projects.   I only show the highest level "task" in the dashboard.   I have various columns like health, some due dates, etc.   One of the column is status.  This is where the project managers write the reason why the project is red/yellow.  Usually it is 2 - 3 sentences.   I want that to be able to see without having to hover on each of the project for the column.   What other way can I achieve this?

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

Hi AJ,

It is possible that we are going to make row height adjustable eventually, but this would require some serious design revamping, so it won't happen soon. 

If I understand your usecase correctly, you have some kind of monitoring screen where you cannot focus on the field to view its contents. Since you are only working with top level task - perhaps you can view it in a details view screen, which can be configured to display essential information. Or perhaps you can expand the width of a column to be sufficient to view project manager's comments. These are the only workarounds that I currently see that are close enough to requirement and does not depend on project manager doing their commenting differently.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works Support

Edie Hovermale March 6, 2020

Please make this enhancement to wrap text. At this point we are now looking at other solutions since we can't see all data at a glance. :-(

Like # people like this
Dale Wolfe March 13, 2020

I second Edie's request. 

We are an active customer and use structures for other purposes but it could really take hold if wrapping of text and the ability to zoom in/out was possible.

Like Denise Corr likes this
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2020

Thank you, Dale for your input, I will share it with our product team.

Regards,
Egor

SONNY SOVAN March 27, 2020

Unfortunately, I'm finding structure unusable too without wrap text. I'm planning to find a different solution as well since wrapping text is critical for running review sessions.

Peter_Millikin May 1, 2020

need wrap text asap please

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2020

Hi Peter,

I am casting your voice for this feature too.

Regards,
Egor

April July 31, 2020

Hi Structure,

I also vote for this feature; we need a top level executive display that can show wrapped text for certain columns.

Thanks!

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2020

Thanks, @April 

Adding your voice.

Regards,
Egor

Denise Corr October 15, 2020

We too vote word wrapping up as a needed feature enhancement.

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2020

Vote added!

tatiana February 5, 2021

+1 for this, would be extremely helpful!

Deb Laurendeau February 12, 2021

This feature would be extremely helpful

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

Hi AJ,

Currently it is not possible to wrap text in a column. However, you can view text which does not fit in your view by hovering mouse button over three dots at the right side of the cell. This will trigger a pop-up window with full text of the field. Please, let me know if this helps with your usecase. Otherwise, would you kindly describe the requirement, as expanding the height of a row could obscure a significant portion of hierarchy, making Structure less useful. Maybe there is an alternative solution I can suggest.

Regards,
Egor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events