Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Structure - How to wrap text in a particular column

I would like to be able to wrap text of a particular column (this one field has 2 - 3 sentences).  How to do that?

6 answers

Hi, everyone.  Thanks for the feedback!

We will definitely notify everyone who's watching this thread by posting here when something is available. 

If you want to be notified directly, please contact ALM Works support.

Best,

-dave 

Thanks Dave! We also really need this. It's been 3 years since this thread started. Any idea on timeline for this feature?

I'm sorry, @jeremyaturner. As we 'speak' there's no definitive plan yet. 

Mentioning it here on the Atlassian Community does count. But adding your request/voice to an ALM Works support ticket is even more valuable for us because it enables us to engage with you in a discussion about your specific use case, which further informs the product owners.

If you haven't already done so, please reach to our support team on this topic, too.

Best,

-dave 

Same here - we would like to have this possibility to wrap text. We use Structure for planning/scheduling and there is a need to be able to see the full description as we're then directly adjusting the overall plan in Structure-Gantt

A potential workaround for displaying the full content of the structure would be to use direct URL to Printable Page.

https://<yourjirabaseurl>/secure/StructurePrintable.jspa?forestSpec=%7B%22structureId%22%3A210%7D&viewId=11

210 here is Structure ID (can be found in the structure's URL), 11 is view id - view ids can be found through URL: https://<yourjirabaseurl>/rest/structure/1.0/view

The printable page will not update with Structure, you'd have to reload it for updating, but it should be sufficient for some presentation purposes.

Regards,
Egor

I'd like to vote for this as well Having the ability for a column to wrap text is ideal when reviewing details at a high level

Adding your vote too, Khoa, thanks

This does not really help with my usecase.  I want to use the dashboard structure gadget to show that status of all my projects.   I only show the highest level "task" in the dashboard.   I have various columns like health, some due dates, etc.   One of the column is status.  This is where the project managers write the reason why the project is red/yellow.  Usually it is 2 - 3 sentences.   I want that to be able to see without having to hover on each of the project for the column.   What other way can I achieve this?

Hi AJ,

It is possible that we are going to make row height adjustable eventually, but this would require some serious design revamping, so it won't happen soon. 

If I understand your usecase correctly, you have some kind of monitoring screen where you cannot focus on the field to view its contents. Since you are only working with top level task - perhaps you can view it in a details view screen, which can be configured to display essential information. Or perhaps you can expand the width of a column to be sufficient to view project manager's comments. These are the only workarounds that I currently see that are close enough to requirement and does not depend on project manager doing their commenting differently.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works Support

Please make this enhancement to wrap text. At this point we are now looking at other solutions since we can't see all data at a glance. :-(

Like # people like this

I second Edie's request. 

We are an active customer and use structures for other purposes but it could really take hold if wrapping of text and the ability to zoom in/out was possible.

Like Denise Broyles likes this

Thank you, Dale for your input, I will share it with our product team.

Regards,
Egor

Unfortunately, I'm finding structure unusable too without wrap text. I'm planning to find a different solution as well since wrapping text is critical for running review sessions.

need wrap text asap please

Hi Peter,

I am casting your voice for this feature too.

Regards,
Egor

Hi Structure,

I also vote for this feature; we need a top level executive display that can show wrapped text for certain columns.

Thanks!

Thanks, @April 

Adding your voice.

Regards,
Egor

We too vote word wrapping up as a needed feature enhancement.

+1 for this, would be extremely helpful!

This feature would be extremely helpful

Hi AJ,

Currently it is not possible to wrap text in a column. However, you can view text which does not fit in your view by hovering mouse button over three dots at the right side of the cell. This will trigger a pop-up window with full text of the field. Please, let me know if this helps with your usecase. Otherwise, would you kindly describe the requirement, as expanding the height of a row could obscure a significant portion of hierarchy, making Structure less useful. Maybe there is an alternative solution I can suggest.

Regards,
Egor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

333 views 3 14
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you