Should Answers give you Karma when you close issues as Spam?

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2014

I believe I have closed tenfolds of issues as spam during my time with Answers. Should this "community-work" be awarded a little bit of Karma for each closure? E.g. as when you add/retag an issue today?

I see the possible challenge of people closing issues that shouldn't really be closed, but I believe the problem isn't very different from people retagging issues.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2014

Thanks Ivar! We definitely appreciate your efforts. At 3,000 karma, you can instaban spammers, so marking as spam isn't quite as effective as getting to 3,000 and then deleting the spam yourself. I'd rather focus on battling spam than introducing a new feature to reward spam marking, and with the instaban feature I hope that's enough to ask our community to do.

We know we definitely need to do a better job combatting spam upstream. We're about to introduce captcha, hopefully that will help a bit. We know it's a long battle.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

I'm close to 1300 now - with the current rate I guess I can instaban spammers in a couple of years time :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2014

I can ban spammers, which kills off their posts, and I find it quite useful seeing the "[closed]" when I browse. It would be nice if you got a point for doing it (My instinct would be that when someone kills off a spammer account, might be nice to give points to people who closed their posts - that way you don't need to worry about closing issues that shouldn't really be closed)

But, as Jeremy says, preventing it in the first place would be nicer :-)

So, thank you for the marking, it does help!

0 votes
Adelle Grigor February 11, 2014

I appreciate you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events