Notification email for certain issues to different users

Thressa Cantrell December 15, 2020

My company is using the Jira ITSM for our intake system.  Is there a way to send an email to a user when a certain issue is created?  

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2020

Hi Thressa - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, there are a few ways you can do that. For me the easiest is to setup an Automation For Jira rule. If you are not familiar with that, here is some basic information.

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

So, basically, you will setup a rule with an Issue Transitioned trigger, add any conditions and then add a New Action for Send email. 

Give it a try and let us know if you need any assistance. 

Thressa Cantrell December 21, 2020

@John Funk , Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I played with the automation but was not successful.  I'm a novice when it comes to Jira.

In Request Type I have 5 different request.  3 of them need to go to mailbox A and 2 of them need to go to mailbox B.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 114507.pngAre you able to show me how I would need to create the automation?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2020

Can you share the automation rule that you have so far? And what is not working about it?

Also, Request Types are linked to Issue Types - that's the important field you need. Are there 5 different issue types also? Or are some Request Types linked to the same Issue Type?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events