New "scripted" trigger for Automation, and related actions and postfunctions

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2020

So I guess this is where we submit feature requests for Automation for Jira.

Three part request

1: A new trigger. "scripted" this behaves like the manual trigger, except that instead of being added to the "more actions" menu of an issue, it can only be called from one of the two items below. 

2: A post function- "run scripted automation". This post function run a "scripted" automation, passing it the current issue.
    Yes i realize this can be simulated by using an "issue transitioned" trigger with the right options, but putting it in the workflow makes it much clearer to someone who is looking at the workflow that there will be an action taken, whereas if you use the transition trigger, someone lookin at or editing the workflow has no clue that there is a related automation that will be triggered. Also that gives the option of having the automation complete before the post function can proceed which may useful for other later functions.

3: A new automation action - "Run Scripted Automation"  This allow you to build "unit" automations, and then string them together if needed. In addition, if you have a complex automation that you want to be run based on 2 different triggers, you can write the automation once, and then just create the two triggers with an action to call the scripted automation.

A4J has a great automation builder. Adding these items would allow it to be leveraged in a lot more ways.

Once you have these, you could probably even build on them more. Allow an API call to run an automation. Scriptrunner or powerscripts script to call one, etc. But that's a "story" for another time. ;)

What do people think of these ideas?

1 comment

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2020

@John McKiernan  - Customer for you.  :-)

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2020

Hi @Andrew Laden (and thanks as ever @John Funk !)

This is a really good suggestion Andrew. We had a couple of items in the backlog that touch on this but not in such detail. I have raised an improvement for it here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1995

I can't say if and when the team get to building something like this but I have made a note to update this post if so. 

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback and ideas :)

John 

Like Andrew Laden likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events