Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Insight for Service Management Premium Cloud?

Shaun McGuire April 5, 2021

Has anyone seen this new version of Service Management Premium with Insight show up in the cloud instance?

I can't get an answer from Atlassian as to when or if this is actually going to happen. Not sure how I would even know if it did. I think I read somewhere that a new menu option will appear labeled "INSIGHT" (different from Apps -> Insight).

5 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

It was announced that roll-out had begun late last week, but it will take a while to make it to every cloud system, and we're not going to be told when it will be done for any individual system.  There was some mention of them all being done inside a week, but that was third-hand.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

I'm very, very concerned about how this is going to work, especially for Jira Core and Software users on server who use Insight and need to migrate.  How will this work without having to buy agent licenses for everyone, especially for the people who have zero interest in JSM?

Shaun McGuire April 11, 2021

What I'm seeing is you can lock down your Service Management users pretty tightly, so you're not paying for ALL Jira users. Service Management isn't meant for all users, only those tasked with managing ITSM operational tasks, which are different than software development, project management, etc. 

This is necessary because the price for SM Premium ain't cheap: $40/month per SM user

Shaun McGuire April 5, 2021

My new Insight showed up in my cloud instance a little while ago - finally. I'm excited to see if the integration between Insight and Service Desk is better than before. Thankfully I don't have a ton of data to migrate over, so I can do it manually. I can already tell the configurations are quite different. For example, any custom field in Jira that you linked to an Insight object type will have to be recreated as an insight objects field.

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2021

How will Jira users without a JSM seat be able to use Insight data in non-JSM projects?  Have you had a chance to try that?

Also, you wrote any custom field in Jira that you linked to an Insight object type will have to be recreated as an insight objects field.

Is this a completely manual process?  What sort of effort estimate do you foresee?

I've only done a few fields with the new Insight for Service Management Premium Cloud, but it's easier than it was with the old Insight, and the result is closer to what you see in some of the video explanations (from other companies, not Atlassian).

Once you have created an ObjectType in Insight, you can link it to a custom Insight Object field in a Jira / Service Management. I did it in about 2 minutes per field once I figured out all the screens and steps. There are several. 

Stephan Krause April 9, 2021

Hello,

I am new here and I am very interested in Insight on the cloud side. From what I have read, is it a waiting game before Insight shows up as an option in JSM? Can I request it and if so, will a request possibly speed up the process?

Insight for Cloud is now embedded in the Service Management Premium Cloud product. As I understand it, you have to have the Service Management Premium subscription ($40/Service Management user/month). Old installations should have the new Insight menu option by now, I would think. If you sign up or upgrade for the Premium subscription, I'm thinking it will just show up for you right away?

Stephan Krause April 15, 2021

Thank you for the clarity Shaun. The update hit our account today and I am currently giving the trial a go. Very excited to see this and what it can do.

Thank you again,

Stephan Krause

Shaun McGuire April 15, 2021

I have to say I'm very disappointed with the latest update to Insight with Service Desk Premium. The functionality is no where near on par with the Data Center version.

1) There is no way to have the values in one Insight Object field be filtered by the selected value of another Insight Object field. For example, say I have a VENDOR objectType and a SERVICES objectType. In Insight I have a relationship established that SERVICE is provided by a VENDOR. A VENDOR can provide many SERVICES. 

In Jira or Service Desk, I can create two custom fields - one for VENDOR and one for SERVICES. I can further edit the context to filter just VENDOR objects for the one, and just SERVICES for the other. But I can't do something like filter the SERVICE field to reflect only those SERVICES referenced to the selected VENDOR. In short, any relationship between objectTypes appears to be irrelevant as far as screen are concerned. This is a HUGE limitation on the product and a big step backward

2) There is no reporting capabilities in the current version of Insight, which means you can put all the information in for your objectSchema, but you can't get it out in a report or listing of anything. You CAN export a single objectType's collection of objects as a CSV file which has no relationship connect to any other objectType.

3) In many videos provided by atlassian to the user community, they show detailed Insight demonstrations regarding employee onboarding and other ITSM examples. The Cloud version includes ZERO templates - NONE. How hard would it be to replicate the ObjectSchema templates and let us use them, especially in a sandbox mode? Makes no sense to me, but maybe there's a technical limitation somewhere? I have no idea.

4) You can't add new icons to the gallery. You can change the names, I guess. The icons provided to not reflect modern systems architecture. I've asked about this and they put it on a possible future feature. It's yet another thing that was available in the product they purchased from Mindville and strangely has been removed. Again, may there's a cloud limitation, but no one will say so.

5) This doesn't effect me, as I'm just starting out with Insight, but if you have a large objectSchema in the previous version of Insight, there is no current way to migrate that schema to the new version of Insight. There are posts indicating atlassian is working on a migration tool, which is cool. But you'll have to wait until mid-summer, most likely, to get that tool. I hope they deliver on that, because wow, it's going to be tough on a lot of customers if they don't.

I LOVE the potential of this product. I WANT to use it - badly. It serves a key purpose in my environment, and I will continue to hold out hope for faster updates and feature parity. How long I can hold out before having to look elsewhere for Asset Management, I don't know.

Like MF likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events