Need to edit only two custom fields even after issue was closed

Raju Mandapaka March 2, 2021

Hi Team,

Let me explain my problem, i created an automation which will trigger when ever an issues was moved to closed status and jira automation need to update two custom fields,

Here in our work flow we set a property on closed status as jira.issue.editable as false (we cant remove this) is there any workflow properties which i can set so that these two fields will be edited even after issue was closed.

Thanks in Advance,

Raju

1 comment

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Hi Seetham - You are asking it to do two totally opposite things. If you set the property to can't edit, you shouldn't be trying to find a way to edit it. If someone tells you that you can't remove that property, then tell them that the issue can't be edited. 

The only thing I can think of is to transition the issue to another status where you can edit it. Then update the fields and transition the issue back to Closed. 

But I am not sure that the can't edit status will let you transition to another status - you would just have to try it. 

Hey @John Funk 

I need to set a property, so that all the fields should be locked, except those (two fields), the idea what you said "The only thing I can think of is to transition the issue to another status where you can edit it. Then update the fields and transition the issue back to Closed. " will not works, The purpose of this automation is to capture dates First closed date & Recent closed date).

Thanks,

Raju

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

So you are just copying the dates when the issue is marked Closed? So both fields are updated at the time the issue is closed and not later? 

yes @John Funk 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

What if you had another status that was a Done status category that users moved the card into? Maybe that is the current Closed status or another status. Either way, that status did not have the property on it.

When the card moves to that status, then it fires an automation rule that populates the two fields and transitions the card into the final status that has the property set on it.

Would that work?

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this

Thanks @John Funk let me give a try

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events