Mask Secure Text

Kirsha Coates April 27, 2023

I have been doing a lot of research and have come to the Atlassian Community for a lot of references to help navigate Jira issues within my organization.

We are currently looking into masking fields within a Jira ticket submitted by a customer or entered by a technician. During my research I had found a few options to help mask PII information. 

The question I have is how to set up the read mask custom field within Jira.

Masked Secure Text Field - Secure Fields for JIRA - Confluence (atlassian.net)

I have walked through the steps in the referenced link and we do not have an option in the advanced field to set up a custom read mask field. Is there something that I am missing on configuring? If so, where do I need to go to enable this feature? 

If we can use the built in functions already contained within Jira rather than purchasing a third party add-on that would be ideal.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nadiia Lisovska April 28, 2023

Hi Kirsha,

Once you install Secure Fields for Jira app, all the secure fields including Secure Mask will be available under the Advanced fields.
If you have any questions or need help with configuration, please feel free to reach out at Customer Portal 

We'll be more than happy to assist you.

Hope it helps,
Nadiia

Kirsha Coates April 28, 2023

Thank you!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2023

Hi @Kirsha Coates ,

Welcome to the community!

The link you included is to the documentation of a third party app, Secure Fields for Jira. In order for the steps described there to work, you'll need to install that particular app.

Generally speaking, your options to mask sensitive data are somewhat limited even when using apps from the marketplace. I'm not an expert on Secure Fields, but if I read their documentation correctly, the app adds custom field types that you can then use for secure fields with potentially masked data and more access controls. I don't believe it adds the same functionality to existing fields and field types.

If you are on cloud and are open to apps, there is our app, PII Protection, which can detect and automatically redact (=mask) PII and other sensitive data. On Data Center there is PII Protector, which has a similar feature set.

Out-of-the-box however, I don't believe Jira supports anything like this. 

Hope that helps & let me know if you have further questions,
 Oliver

Kirsha Coates April 28, 2023

Thank you so much. I will relay this to our Infra team and see how they would like to proceed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events