Jira Xray: Can we add one Test (testcase) multiple times to one Test Set?

Serhii Barylets May 2, 2023

Hi community! I am trying to use Xray for test management and have a question. 

My product under test is a mobile app with sign up flow. The flow contains a dozen of subsequent screens, and actually one screen represents one/several form(s) to be filled with user data and each screen has "Continue" button to proceed next screen.

Test design involves creating few Tests (testcases) for each screen. And my idea was to separate tapping the "Continue" button in a single Test with the only one step, and then call this test as many times as I need in a Test Set.

So, a Test Set could look like this:

1. Test 1 (fill form#1 on screen#1)

2. Test 99 (tap "Continue" button)

3. Test 2 (fill form#2 on screen#2)

4. Test 99 (tap "Continue" button)

5. Test 3 (fill form#3 on screen#3)

6. Test 99 (tap "Continue" button)

But the problem is I am not able to add one Test multiple times to one Test Set. Is there a possibility to do that? Because I think when I was reading docs or was watching some videos about Xray, it was said somewhere, that Test Set can include the same Test few times simultaneously.

1 answer

1 vote
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2023

Hi @Serhii Barylets 

what you describe in general seems to be test steps. A test case should cover a functionality/use case/flow with a dedicated result for a special action. A test set is a tool to organize test cases (eg. reg test, tests regarding a special story) to further ease the execution of them. Please see the link:

https://docs.getxray.app/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=62269972#content/view/62269972

As far as I understood you would like to cascade several test cases in a master test case. That‘s not what test sets are meant for. To achieve this you could call one testcase within another one:

https://docs.getxray.app/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=82445084#ModularTests-Createacallteststep

Best
Stefan

Serhii Barylets May 8, 2023

Yeah, thank you! I am using Modular test design already, as Xray support team suggested. This is the same idea, to call small Test in a master test case.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Serhii Barylets 

in case this was the solution to your problem please consider to hit the accept button in order to mark this question as solved.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events