Jira Structure.Gantt Resource Leveling Over-Allocating

David_Love October 5, 2022

I've been trying out Structure.Gantt and the resource leveling consistently over-allocates developers. I've attached screenshots of the current configuration and an example of what I mean. I need it to not assign the same person to two different tasks at the same time. I assume I'm configuring something wrong but this seems like a very basic requirement and I'm struggling to figure out what configuration changes I can make to fix this. Can anyone help?

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 3.18.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-05 at 3.20.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-05 at 3.20.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-05 at 3.21.16 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 12, 2022

Hello @David_Love ,

Welcome to the Community!

Would you be able to share a screen capture of the entire Gantt Chart, including the Resource section at the bottom?  It's hard to tell if the resource leveling was applied to these issues and if they are being considered as over allocated.

Two things to check initially would be; the Resource Settings, specifically availability, and how the Scheduling Configuration is set up.

Please feel free to contact our support team directly via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.  We will be happy to review your set up.

Best Regards,
David

David_Love October 12, 2022

Hi!

The Gantt chart is far far too large to capture in a single screenshot. That's why I posted the specific screenshots above. However I tried to get a new screenshot that captures an example of what I'm seeing, including the over-allocation and the resources listed. What is extremely odd is that it only seems to affect the "Greg R" resource. You can see in the screenshot that other resources seem to be leveled properly. I've included new screenshots that also show the configuration for this particular resource.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 1.09.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-12 at 1.09.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.55.52 PM.png

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 12, 2022

Hello @David_Love ,

Thank you for the updated screenshot!  It is actually exactly what I meant!! So, apologies for not being clear but happy we ended up on the same page anyway.

Based on the Progress column in your screenshot, it appears that RS-3176, RS-2988 and RS-2961 are all "Completed".  One of the options that can be selected when running Resource Leveling is "Completed Tasks". 

When enabled, Completed Tasks will be rescheduled via Resource Leveling.  When it is disabled, Completed Tasks will not be considered in the Resource Leveling.

From the screenshot of the Resource Leveling Settings, it appears Completed Tasks are disabled, which is why they are not being considered in the Resource Leveling.

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
David

Thanks for your help so far!

Yes, I thought it might have something to do with the progress/completion, but even if I check "Completed Tasks" when doing the resource leveling I get the same result. What's also confusing about those tasks is that the progress bar in the Structure chart shows them completed, but the remaining estimate is still 16h - same as the original estimate, no work is logged on them, and the progress reported on the Gantt chart if I click the bar for the task says "0%".

So maybe the problem is that the "completion" is calculated two different ways in different contexts? But how do I know what to change to fix that?

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 1.59.06 PM.png

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
October 12, 2022

Hello @David_Love ,

The Progress Column and Progress used for Gantt are both configurable independently.  So, they could be using different criteria. 

If the tasks are completed and the option for "completed tasks" is enabled, the resource leveling should work, and does in my testing.  Best to create a support ticket using one of the channels I mentioned earlier to troubleshoot.

Regarding knowing what settings to adjust, I would suggest our documentation on Getting Started with Structure as well as Getting Started with Structure.Gantt.  In that wiki space, you will also find a lot of additional information on specific features.

We also have recorded bootcamp sessions that are great for learning more about the product.

Structure Bootcamp Session I
Structure Bootcamp Session II

Structure.Gantt Bootcamp Session I
Structure.Gantt Bootcamp Session II

I will keep an eye out for your ticket.

Best,
David

Yeah, I was hoping this would be a simple configuration option I overlooked somewhere but it seems more involved than that. I'll follow up with a support ticket as you suggest. Thank you for helping me thus far!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events