Issues with simple JIRA automation

Paul Taylor April 11, 2022

I have read a number of @John Funk posts here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Copy-a-value-and-pasting-it-into-a-different-field-Automation/qaq-p/1377239  and many others about automation -  it makes sense but after 4 hours of trying multiple ways to do this, I can't seem to get the automation working.  I am new to this so I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. I did get the automation to run once successfully but I tried testing on another ticket it did not work and hasn't since.

We have:-
custom field called QA Story points  which is customfield_10053 
when the issuetype = Test and the QA Story points field is not empty  ie whenever it has any value different to 0 or has nothing in it then copy that value to the Jira stock Story Point field.

Sounds simple enough right ? :-(  I started with this automation as I wanted to start with something simple and I need to be able to do much more complicated ones next. Any guidance you can give would be appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Paul Taylor 

Take a look at this rule.

copy-number-field.png

On issue update event it will copy the value from a number field to the story points fields.

Is your rule similar to this?

Ravi

Paul Taylor April 12, 2022

thanks for the reply @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_   this is what my rule looks like currently. I started with something more simple, but when it didn't work I read some stuff and then started trying a bunch of different ways - none has worked.  To explain the logic....

when our QA story point field ( number field ) has any value other than empty or 0 i want to push the story points to the main JIRA story point field but only for issue types of Test

Snag_260b70.png

Paul Taylor April 13, 2022

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  I believe the example that you gave is where I started before I started playing with anything to get it to work.  I went back to this and it does not work, am I doing something wrong here ?  

Snag_55a3996.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events