Copy a value and pasting it into a different field Automation for JIRA

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2020

Hello,

I would like to copy values from the fields 'First Name' and 'Last Name' into 'Display Name'

Im having trouble working out how this works under 'More options'

Snip20200513_723.png

I tried and a few other options but not sure how it works. Any help?

Snip20200513_725.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

Hi Harry - One option might be to do it with an Automation For Jira rule. Are you in Cloud or Server?

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2020

Hi @John Funk 

That is what I am trying to do. This is Automation for Jira. 

I am using Cloud

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2020

Why are you trying to do it under More options? 

Are all 3 fields in the same issue?

Do a component for Edit issue

Select the Display Name field

Then in the Set value box, but in something like:

{{issue.First Name.value}} {{issue.Last Name.value}}

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

Or you can do:

{{issue.customfield_10210.displayName}} {{issue.customfield_10211.displayName}}

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2020

Thanks @John Funk 

That worked :)

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2020

Snip20200518_736.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2020

Great! Glad I could help. 🙂

Paul Taylor April 8, 2022

@John Funk   have read your posts here and many others about automation -  it makes sense but after 4 hours of trying multiple ways to do this, I can't seem to get the automation working.  I am new to this so I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. I did get the automation to run once successfully but I tried testing on another ticket it did not work and hasn't since.

We have:-
custom field called QA Story points  which is customfield_10053 
when the issuetype = Test and the QA Story points field is not empty  ie whenever it has any value different to 0 or has nothing in it then copy that value to the Jira stock Story Point field.

Sounds simple enough right ? :-(  I started with this automation as I wanted to start with something simple and I need to be able to do much more complicated ones next. Any guidance you can give would be appreciated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events