How to create test cases with QAlity - Test Management for Jira

A test case is a definition of all the necessary steps, inputs, conditions, and expected results that allow one to thoroughly test a given feature or case. A definitive advantage of having and maintaining test cases is the ability to standardize what is tested and how it is done. This standardization allows keeping a certain level of testing quality and coverage, as well as making sure that nothing is missed when executing the test again and again - for example during the regression testing. Being able to easily and seamlessly create and access test cases is therefore crucial in any test management app. This guide explains how users can create test cases in QAlity - Test Management for Jira - a free app available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server, as well as its more advanced version - QAlity Plus - Test Management for Jira.

A test case issue type

Test cases in QAlity are represented by Jira issues, with a special type - “QAlity Test”. You can easily recognize those issues by the following icon.

icon3.png

This new issue type is automatically added as soon as you install QAlity on your Jira instance. In order to use it in your project though, it needs to be enabled as a valid issue type first. 

All Jira issues that have this issue type selected are enhanced by QAlity in order to be able to store test case data, such as test steps, test data, expected results, and more. One way to create a new test case is to simply create a new Jira issue, and select “QAlity Test” as the issue type. 

QAlity-test.gif

Voilà! The test case has been created. You can now proceed to add your test script. Depending on the level of details that you select, you will see all or some of the following columns to fill

• Test step - details an action to be taken as a part of the test script (e.g. Fill in the “password” field)
  • Test data - provides the data that should be used in relation to the testing step (e.g. “p@ssw0rd!”)
  • Test result - an expected result that the tester should verify in this step (e.g. The entered password is masked with asterisks - ********)
  • Test attachments - allows attaching images or any other files that could be useful for the given test step (e.g. a data to be uploaded or the expected screen that the user should currently see)

test-steps.png

Test case display directly in Jira issues

In addition to the ability to create test cases via the new Jira issue dialog, the QAlity app also allows you to create a test case directly in each Jira issue. You can do so by clicking the “+ Test Case” button in the QAlity section of the Jira issue.

add-new-test-case.png

Clicking the button will both create a new Jira issue that represents the test case and link it to the current issue you are viewing so that the test steps of this test case are also displayed in this issue. Please note that if your project configuration requires that all new Jira issues have some fields set, you will be shown a create issue dialog to provide the values for those fields. Once that’s done, you will be shown the test case that has been created and can start adding the test steps.

If you have already created some test cases (using any of the options above), you can also link them to your other Jira issues. Linking a test case issue will cause the test steps of the selected test case to be displayed in your Jira issue. This way you can reuse a single test case across multiple issues. Each update will be reflected in all issues where the same test case is linked.

qality-link-test-case.gif

Test case steps management

Once the test case is created you can freely add, edit, and remove any test steps from it. QAlity comes with an easy to understand and fast user interface that allows capturing the test scripts data. You can add as many test steps as you wish, you can easily re-organize them by dragging and dropping each step, and you can also clone and delete each step. 

test-case-steps-mgmt.gif

QAlity - Test Management for Jira is available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server on the Atlassian Marketplace free of charge. You can also activate free trial of QAlity Plus - Test Management for Jira. Our documentation can help you get started. In case of any troubles or questions, you can always contact our support team.

11 comments

Comment

Srini Genji November 3, 2021

Hi Sebastian,

I've configured and added Qality Test issue type and it appears as another issue in the Create drop down list. When I create a Qality test it has the same set of fields as story or task no test steps, data or test results. How do I get the fields relevant to Qality Test?

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 4, 2021

Hello @Srini Genji 

are you sure that you have QAlity Plus or QAlity installed on your instance? Additionally, if you use cloud you might need to click QAlity button at the top of the issue.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 15-06-07 [TEST-4] As a user I should be able to register with the application - Jira.png

Best regards,
Sebastian

Mateusz Sęczkowski November 18, 2021

Is it possible to add shared test steps?

Ewa Grabowska-Ptak_SolDevelo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2021

Hi @Mateusz Sęczkowski , it's nice to see your interest in our app! At this moment we do not support shared steps. I will share your idea with our team and note it to consider for future development. If you would like, you can contact us through our Jira Service Managment here. This way I'll be able to email you with an update as soon as I know more. 

Like Mateusz Sęczkowski likes this
Ashutosh_Batta April 5, 2022

Hi Team, Please rectify the spelling error in Deleting the test cases section.

Actual text

To delete a test step click the bin icon at the and of the test step, this will remove all test step data.

Expected text

To delete a test step click on the bin icon at the end of the test step, this will remove all test step data.

Ashutosh_Batta April 5, 2022

Hi Team,

Test Cycle execution

Just an example to demonstrate the restriction in flow.

I have 10 test cases in Test cycle. I clicked on start execution in cycle on first test case in a queue. After executing the test case and changed the status of test case For example : Passed. Now, to test next test case, I could not find option that helps me to move to next test case in cycle. For example Button Next test case to execute. Instead of that, I have to come back to test cycle page again and select the next test case. 

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
April 6, 2022

Hello @Ashutosh_Batta 

I'm assuming that with this typo you were referring to our documentation - this has been adjusted now.

Thank you for your suggestion about easier navigation to another test case in the test cycle. This is a good point! We will consider this addition for future development :)

Best regards,
Sebastian

Poat January 18, 2023

for anyone else with @Srini Genji 's problem - that's because the plugin does not make a screen or screen scheme, thus it uses your projects default (which might be what your stories use)

• you'd need to create a simple screen / scheme and just put the most basic fields

also, not sure if supported, but from the test tickets you can link multiple tickets, and the test cases show on those tickets - I know @Mateusz Sęczkowski was mentioning that a bit ago

see example we are testing below

Screenshot 2023-01-10 113655.png

Nikhil Sherkarppa Naikar March 1, 2023

Hi Team, 

Cant we add 2 or more test cases for one Scenario, I am unable to find the option for doing this

Vinay Perala March 14, 2023

Hi Team, 

Just wanted to know that is there any versions addition for this test cases creation?

krish May 1, 2023

Hi team,

where i can see my expected results and actual results in QAlity.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events