How to configure QAlity - Test Management for Jira for the first use?

QAlity - Test Management for Jira and QAlity Plus - Test Management for Jira are test management tools available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server. Even though QAlity is capable of configuring most of the required things upon install, there’s just a tiny bit of the configuration required from your side as well. This short guide explains how to get started with the QAlity on your instance.

Step 1: Installation

The first step is to install the app on your instance. The steps will differ depending on whether you use Jira Cloud or Jira Server. In either case, the installation steps are listed on the marketplace page for QAlity. You will also be able to install it directly from the marketplace page, by clicking “Get it now”.

marketplace.png

Step 2: Configure issue types

Once the app is installed, it will automatically add the “QAlity Test” issue type to your Jira instance. You can recognize it with the following icon.

icon3.png

In order to use this issue type, you will need to enable it for your project though. Setting up the “QAlity Test” issue type is a little different for the team-managed projects on Jira Cloud and is explained in detail below.

For company-managed projects on Jira Cloud and on Jira Server, you will be informed about the need to enable the “QAlity Test” issue type when you view any issue in your project. The following information shows up when you did not enable the required issue type yet. Jira administrators can click on the “Go to configuration” to set up the QAlity Test issue type for the project.

no-issue-type.png

The configuration should display currently enabled issue types as shown below. In order to modify them, click on Actions and Edit issue types.

issue-types-scheme.png

This will bring you to the screen that displays issue types in two columns. One column showing the issue types that are currently enabled. And another column displaying issue types that are available, but not enabled. Move the “Test case” issue type from one column to another, in order to enable it and then confirm it by clicking on Save. That’s it! The Test case issue type is now enabled.

add-qality--test.gif

Configure issue type for team-managed projects

Team-managed projects use simplified configuration and therefore setting up the issue types works in a different way. Similar to company-managed projects, you will be informed about the need to enable the issue type as soon as you enter any of your Jira issues. A Jira administrator can click on “Go to configuration” to set up issue types. 

Available issue types will be shown in the menu on the left-hand side. In order to add a new issue type, you need to click on the “Add issue type” button.

project-settings-issue-type.png

This will display a dialog that allows you to provide the details for the new issue type. Please note that the new issue type must be named QAlity Test. You can also use the icon that was attached above in order to easily distinguish this issue type from others. 

qality-test-ng.png

Confirm the addition by clicking “Create” and the configuration is done!

Step 3: All set

Once you have enabled the issue type, you should be able to create and manage test cases in your project. The issue view should have the following section.

qality-configured.png
If you can see it, it means that you are all set to start using the app!

QAlity - Test Management for Jira is available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server on the Atlassian Marketplace free of charge. There's also a free trial available for QAlity Plus - Test Management for Jira. Have any questions or troubles setting up the app? Check out our documentation or contact our support team.

25 comments

Comment

Simi Kamini August 10, 2020

does qality work on free jire boards as well in the next gen projetcs ? 

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 11, 2020

@Simi Kaminiyes - QAlity is free for any Jira plan you have. It also works in Next-Gen projects - the instructions above explain how to configure it in Next-Gen :)

Jacek Włodarczyk January 20, 2021

Hi. Is it possible to make this plugin dissabled by default for any project and then turn it on one by one project when necesary? I have instaled the plugin only form one of the projects in my enviroment for test purposses, but it shows up in each one - on every issue tracked there is QA section. As a JIRA Adm I have a list of the projects empty to enable /disable the plug-in but "enable default" checkbox is alway turned on. With a different account, as PM for two projects I can see this setting and I can dissable/enable this funcionality  for the project, but only the one I am responssible for. So as uber-admin I can't manage it, I have to tell all project-ressposible admins to turn this off / dissable on each project.

Do I miss something or I did during instalation process? (JIRA 7.2.2)

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2021

Hello Jacek,

the screen you are describing should be displaying all of the projects you administer and allow you to turn QAlity on and off in them one by one, or in your case - turn QAlity off in all but one project.

https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/QS/pages/2004844549/Settings

Are you sure that the user you attempt to use indeed has administration rights to all of the projects? Perhaps his permissions are somehow limited? If you can't figure this out, please feel free to reach our service desk - https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/6 and we will do our best to help. If you decide to contact us via the service desk, please also include the QAlity version you are using.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Jacek Włodarczyk January 21, 2021

Hello Sebastian. 

You are right, I was missing the administrator role in projects to see them all in my list in the plug-in configuration screen. Now I am able to enable/dissable plug-in for selected projects.

Thank you!

Best Regards 

Jacek 

Like Sebastian Brudziński likes this
Fernando André March 4, 2021

Will there be a server version for this app?

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
March 4, 2021

Hello @Fernando André there's a server version of QAlity - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222083/qality-test-management-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

QAlity Plus will also have the server version (later this month) and a Data Center version (coming up in the next few months)

Nagamani March 10, 2021

HI To create a new test case, click + Test Case is not enabled  

may I know how to enable this Test case link ??

Mayank Kodesia April 1, 2021

@Sebastian Brudziński  does this tool support API integration ? if I want to integrate with python or java and update the test case after my test suite runs

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
April 2, 2021

@Mayank Kodesiaunfortunately, we don't have any APIs available yet that would allow you to integrate with QAlity from external tools.

Renu July 12, 2021

Hi,

While importing test cases from CSV file, can we map the steps and expected result from CSV to the QAlity-Test Steps and Expected Result?

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
July 12, 2021

Hello @Renu 

yes you can - take a look at the mapping step of the Import process in our docs - https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/QS/pages/2880340026/Import+test+cases+PLUS#Second-Step

Feel free to contact us if you had any problems achieving this and we will gladly assist - https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/6

Best regards,
Sebastian

Renu July 12, 2021

Hello @Sebastian Brudziński  

Thanks for your quick reply!

Here is the issue - I am not able to select Jira field as Steps/Expected Result while mapping the fields.

JiraFieldMapping.PNGQAlityFields.PNG

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
July 12, 2021

Hi @Renu 

when you say you are not able to select "Test step" or "Expected result" do you mean that this option is not available in the dropdown? Or does the dropdown not open at all when you click on "choose something"? Perhaps something else happens? Have you tried a different browser? It would be great if you forwarded this problem and answers to the above questions to our customer service desk, they will be able to quickly answer and help - https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/6

Best,
Sebastian

Renu July 12, 2021
hamda hamda June 13, 2022

how can I add custom fields into Quality Screen?

Oleh Ivaniv August 15, 2022

Hello @Sebastian Brudziński 

Can you help me with one issue.

I can't map the Priority from the CSV file to the Jira field.

I thought that I have to add the Priority field to the QAlity Test issue type, but it didn't help.

Can I handle this issue somehow?

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.24.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.24.56 PM.png

Yaneth Flórez Morantes October 11, 2022

hola buenos días, me pueden indicar si esta aplicación tiene la opción de crear un set de pruebas y dentro de este crear los casos de pruebas?

Julie Pechony Jones December 8, 2022

Hi, im on a team managed project. and I followed the steps to add the issue type but something doesn't seem to work for me and I'll appreciate your help. 

When I click the button QAlity test button I'm getting the commat to create test cases with steps and it opens a jira ticket first. then when I go to the QAlity dashboard it doesn't show me the test cases, but if I filter by the new issues type I see them. the thing is with the new issue type it doesn't have the fail / pass attributes and it looking like a plain jira ticket. am I missing something? can you help please?

Nina Mojir January 23, 2023

Hi!

Is it possible to choose which Jira users can have access to QAlity Plus in jira? we are evaluating the QAlity - Test Management for Jira and need to use Plus functionalities during our free rial.  

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
January 23, 2023

Hello @Nina Mojir 

you can disable QAlity and QAlity Plus in selected projects, which means users won't be able to use them where it's disabled. However, if you are referring to billing, Jira apps are billed based on the total number of active users on your instance - you cannot control which users you will be billed for.

Bets regards,
Sebastian

Chad Ebel March 1, 2023

We have QAlity Plus installed and have Test Cases associated with Stories.  When Executing an Ad Hoc Test Case Linked To a Work Ticket as Tested By we have no ability to report on all Ad Hoc Executions, Execution Status, Executor etc. specific to that Ticket Instance. How can we get a report that shows the work that was done (DEV-1234) with the Tested By QAlity Test Case Ticket (QATC-1234) and the Execution Status for that Execution?

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
March 1, 2023

@Chad Ebel even though we don't have a direct report that would show only test executions connected with one ticket, perhaps you can use our traceability report to achieve a similar result. In the traceability report, you can search for a specific requirement (test case or any other Jira issue) and get a summary of test executions and bugs reported in those test cases.

If this is not a suitable workaround for you, I invite you to submit your feature request to our service desk! https://soldevelo.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/6/group/16/create/53

Best,
Sebastian

Screenshot from 2023-03-01 19-11-27.png

Chad Ebel March 1, 2023

Thanks for this, how do I export this data?

Melina de los Angeles Valdez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2023

Buenisimo!! Me salvo la vida este artículo.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events