Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I Use Structure for Jira

jkimttv April 18, 2020

I wanted to share my experiences with ALM’s Jira plug-in called Structure for Jira (https://almworks.com/structure/overview.html). I find this to be an extremely useful tool when managing my projects and tickets in Jira.

Organizing Using Automations

One of the challenges of using Jira’s Backlog and Board views is that while it allows for custom filters via Quick Filters, there is no way to view different sorted views. Structure enables me to create multiple views by creating multiple boards. The view that I show below of projects organizes and sorts them by Due Date. This is done by dynamically using an Automation that inserts issues into each section based on my JQL criteria as well as sorting by the JQL.

aa07F67A0C-8120-4D2A-85B6-434AA697E18E.png

Another view that I find extremely helpful is organizing all IInitiatives, with dynamically generated views of contained Epics and Stories. This is done by using the “Add issues linked by…” and “Add issues belonging to epics” Automations. See below:

bb11EA6134-000C-420D-9FA2-469B0067669A.png

WYSIWIG Capabilities

A very convenient feature that Structure enables is the WYSIWYG capability to modify fields within Jira tickets right from the Structure view. This makes it really easy to view a group of tickets at a glance, whether it’s a project view or any other type of group that one wants to see and modify fields quickly inline, without having to change screen contexts. 

04B36350-2950-4881-A067-DC8D014662EA.png

Rough Drafts, Quick and Easy

If you haven’t formulized an approach to how you want to organize your work, you can always use the drag-and-drop features. This is a nice way to get your tickets onto a board and organize them in an ad hoc manner, using folders parent tickets and even with a mix of Automations (Automations can be placed within lower levels so that only nested tickets are affected by them) so that you have organize a single board in several different ways. I highly recommend using Structures to create views that will be sure to enhance your effectiveness in staying informed as to the state of your projects and work items.

3 comments

Comment

jkimttv April 18, 2020

One thing (since I use both Structure for Jira Server and Structure for Jira Cloud) that you'll notice if you use the Cloud version is that you might really miss the powerful capability to (see this page for more - https://wiki.almworks.com/display/strcloud/Comparison+to+Structure+for+Jira+Server%2C+Data+Center+and+Service+Desk):

• Generators do not support manual reordering - it is currently not possible to rearrange generated content or change field values by dragging issues from one generated group to another

This is something that I look forward to when the ALM team brings this feature up to parity. It speeds up project management workflow and provides a visual tool that enables a level of organizing relationships between tickets within Jira that is just not possible outside of this tool. 

Like Cosmin.Carac likes this
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2020

Structures in Jira is very useful, specially for projects which are within an ecosystem, and situations where one has to manage and see everything...

Remember over the past we have always tried to bring that perfect symphony of project/s delivery.
Structures help in a better visualization and management, its simple and no coding.!

Like # people like this
jkimttv April 20, 2020

Completely agree. The simplicity enables anyone to jump in and get a useful view up. But the tooling allows you to go much farther and create a great number of customized views. 

Suriya Kumar Sivasubramania
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2024

can you give me the pricing information for Structure?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events