Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Multiple Triggers for a Rule

Amanda Lenczewski July 27, 2020

I would love to see functionality that says "When this happens OR this other thing happens trigger this rule."

For example, I have a rule that is triggered by a transition that sends an email. I'd like to also be able to trigger that rule to send the email manually. Obviously, I can copy the rule and change the trigger, but then if the text of the email changes, I have to change it in two places.

2 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2020

Hi Amanda - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Those are two very different types of triggers to initiate the rule, so you are not going to be able to do that with a single rule. I have the same need but just have to update the two different rules as things changes. But that's also a quick copy and paste. 

Amanda Lenczewski July 27, 2020

I understand that it can't be done currently, I am suggesting it as an enhancement.

For one of my projects, we are replacing the default notifications with automation rules with customized emails. We have about 10 email rules written and if we duplicate them for this use, that makes it 20, which can become cumbersome when we have changes that need to be made. So it would be very useful to my team to be able to combine this as it reduces the human error factor.

Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2020

@John McKiernan  - Another enhancement request for you.  :-)

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2020

Hey Amanda,

I can see where you are coming from here. You do have the option to use a multiple issue event trigger (as below) but that is not going to do the job for your use case. 

Automation rules - Jira 2020-07-28 11-19-01.png

We do have an improvement in the backlog whereby there would be an AND/OR condition so you could simply have one rule with multiple triggers so you don't need to edit the content each time. https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-961

I'll update it with a note to comment on this thread if and when shipped. 

Cheers,

John 

Like John Funk likes this
Lukas Alber January 5, 2024

I have the same request for confluence ( where we don't even have the multiple issue events trigger)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events