Cannot move tickets manually in Structure, due to sorting. How do I get rid of the sorting rule?

Angela Kyle Sero April 19, 2023

Hi,

I have this structure board and I cannot move tickets manually, whether it's up or down. A notification pops up after I move an issue, it says, "Sorry you cannot make this change, because the items are sorted."

I have a screenshot below for reference. 

How do I get rid of the sorting rule that is stopping me from moving issues within Structure? 

Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 8.36.36 AM.png

1 answer

2 votes
Nicholas Ellis _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 10, 2023

Hi Angela,

There are really two questions here, and they have different answers.

First, how to remove the sort rule is rather simple.  At the top of the structure you should see the generators as the top few rows.  If not you'll want to click "Show Generators" in the top left.  Then you can click on the sort rule, it should say "sort by ..." and your field name.  This will stop that warning message from showing up, but it won't let you reorder the board and sort the issues yourself.

This is the second question, how can you move the items via drag and drop to change their order?  This is only possible if you sort by the rank field, and have the "Moving items in the structure will update ranks" checkbox checked.

Here is the relevant documentation if you are interested.  https://wiki.almworks.com/documentation/structure/8.3/cloud/sort-by-field-generator-173310049.html#id-.SortbyFieldGeneratorv8.3-Movingitemsinthestructurewillupdateranks

Cheers,
Nick [Tempo/ALM Works]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events