Automation - If linked issue type is... then do this.. else..

Johannes Nyberg July 12, 2022

Hello Team! 

I have a question regarding JIRA Automation. 

I want to, depending on the linked issue type, answer Yes or No on a Custom Field in my project. Does anyone see a solution for this? 

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

Hi @Johannes Nyberg ,

an automation rule needs an event. When should the rule be triggered?

How far did you come so far? Could you please share a screenshot of what you tried so far?

Best
Stefan

Johannes Nyberg July 12, 2022

Hi Stefan, 

Sorry for my undetailed question. 

Yes, so it should be triggered when an linked issue is created. I have the following setup:

- Project A and issue type X

- Project B and Issue type Y & Z

The support team ( works in project B ) will create a linked issue in project A with issue type X. The created issue in project A will either have Y or Z as a linked Issue Type. 

Depending on that linked issue type I want to edit the created issue in project A. 

This is my progress

Capture.PNG

Johannes Nyberg July 14, 2022

Any suggestions @Stefan Salzl ? 
Thank you, 

Johannes 

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Johannes Nyberg 

thanks for the reminder and your patience ;)

according to your description: I was thinking of another trigger -->

• "issue linked"
    • You could then also choose on which link type the rule should react/be triggered.
    • It also depends on the direction/type your linking is going (inward/outward linking --> which issue will be the inward-side and which one the outward-side)
  • then I check the source issue within if/else
  • and add destination issue branch for each option

--> see screenshots below.

For better understanding of the use case I built:

I have a Service Management Project "ITSM" and a software project "JT". Within my ITSM project I have issue type "Service Request" and "Incident".

These issues could both CAUSE a task in my "JT" project ( eg. Incident (ITSM) CAUSES task (JT) --> indicent is source issue, task is destination issue)

So my rule triggers whenever a link of type CAUSES/IS CAUSED BY is created. When the source issue is an "Incident" the rule branches for the destination issue (which is the task) and edits it according to your requirement (eg. YES).

Else if the source issue is a Service Request the rule branches for the destionation issue as well but this time writes NO.

(In my screenshots is the field "Number 1". This needs to be changed according to your requirement).

Hope this was helpful.

Best
Stefan

grafik.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events