Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation: Change a Story's priority based on Custom Number Context Fields

ana_mora November 16, 2020

Hello Atlassian Community, 

I have a use case that I don't know if it's that common, I haven't found any similar discussions. Maybe, it has been covered already, but I was unable to set up an Automation based on what I'll explain below. If there is a way to do this already, please point me to the documentation article 🙏🏼

Here's my situation:

In my team, we prioritise issues using the Weighted Shortest Job first model

Based on the Cost of Delay and the Job size, we determine which tasks need to be done first. 

We have created the Cost of Delay and Job size fields in our Jira project, and based on the numbers we input there, I manually change the priority field. 

For me, it would be a great advantage to be able to add an Automation that based in these two custom Number Context Fields, changes the Priority field automatically as we go through our Sprint Planning. 

Thank you!! 

Ana 

2 comments

Comment

I've been playing with the automation rules but I can't figure out why it does not work.

I'm using the string {{issue.[property]}}, should I be using {{issue.[Custom Field].value}} or similar?

Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi Ana - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share the rule you have created so far and what is not working with it?

Like ana_mora likes this

HI John! 

Please see here a sample:

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 16.29.14.pngIf you need any other details please let me know! 

Thanks,

Ana

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Thanks for sharing. First, you shouldn't need [ ] brackets, just the fields name.  For example, {{issue.Cost of delay}}

Make sure your field name is exactly the same as the actual custom field itself. If that still doesn't work, try using {{issue.customfield_16999}} except replace my number with the actual id number for each of your fields. 

Like ana_mora likes this
ana_mora November 17, 2020

Thank you! That fixed it!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Great!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events