Automatically update status of link issue

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2019

I got 2 projects, let’s call it ProjA and ProjB, both having [Status] field. ProjB is linked (as relates to) to ProjA.

I’m looking for the Post Functions function to update the status of ProjA to ‘Done’ after the status of ProjB was manually changed to ‘Done’.

I tried adding a Post Functions on the transition of ‘Done’ status. Then selecting either Update Issue Custom Field or Update Issue Field. But both of them do not show the Status field in the dropdown list of field names.

I also tried playing with Automation with Jira but still can’t find my way.

How do I achieve this?  

1 answer

0 votes
Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi @Zaldy Parian ,

With help of automation rule you will be configure your requirement and make sure that both project workflow same or change the below rule accordingly.

Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 12.01.28 PM.png

Thanks,

Avinash

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2019

Hi Avinash,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did as you suggested above. 

In the receiving project (e.g., the project I wanted the status to auto update), I navigated to Project settings > Project automation.

Then created automation as you suggested.

automationrule.jpgBut after updating the status of the issue of the other project to 'Closed', the status of the receiving project did not change to 'Closed'

Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Hi @Zaldy Parian ,

Can you please make sure that transitions are configured for linked issues workflows. For example, If linked issue is in To-Do and you try to change status to Done,  but there no transition from To-Do to Done then rule will not work.

Also you can try out having Simplified workflow ( any status to any status) for linked issues workflows to check whether rule is working or not.

Thanks,

Avinash

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2019

Thanks for your patience, Avinash.

Both projects are using same workflow. I checked the Audit of the automation and it appears there is a restriction on project. But the field to add projects is not editable.

proj_restrict.jpg

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2019

I think I got it.

In the Manage automation link, I have to create the automation using (or by clicking) the Global administration, as shown below.

Then, from there I could specify the different projects that I want the automation would run.

Thanks, again.global_admin.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events