App for Atlassian Community?

Anzar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2022

Hi,

I have been using Atlassian Community for 3 years now. (Including my company profile)

It has been quite a while now but I don't see an app for Atlassian Community by Atlassian.

Don't you think it becomes quite a rusty way to access the Atlassian Community webpage or to check the answers/questions/discussions you are involved in or you want to be involved in again and again on the browser?

I think it's high time for Atlassian to think about giving an app to this community for their betterment and ease of access to the questions/Answers and discussions and everything available to us on the webpage.

Let me know in the comments what you guys think about it? What can be the extra features which we may (as a community member/leader) look for in the app?

Regards,

Anzar

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

First, I'll want to be open about my opinion - it's "meh".   I don't often use Community on devices that don't have a decent-sized screen and a keyboard, I wouldn't bother to install an app for it on my devices.  (The handful of times I have used it on the 'phone, the browser has worked well enough).  Also, I don't use a browser to find new content often - I rely on being emailed by it, or RSS feeds.  

But that is just me.  I do understand a lot of people would like an app for it.  If I were one of those, I would be looking for 

• Easy reading mode: in a browser on a 'phone, the layout is re-arranged a bit to stop you having to scroll left and right as well as up and down, but it's still cluttered.  I'd like an app to think about giving as much space to the body of the question/article/discussion.  Also, the editor for posting should be full width (browsers do it as a field, so there's space either side of the box!)
  • All the Kudos stuff - both the Kudos menu stuff and marking answers right etc
  • Something I think should be in the UI generally, but I imagine would be a doddle for an app to implement - "why am I being told about this new content"?.  The emails already say [new thing], [reply], [comment], etc, but I'd actually like to know if it's a response to something I posted, or if it's because I'm watching the post for some reason.  (I currently type "you" into the email search bar in my usual email client to find mentions)
  • Easy moderation options for those of us who have some moderation rights (leaders can move posts to other collections and mark 

However, before giving you a firm "yes, there should be an app" or bothering Atlassian about it, there's a couple of things I think you should know:

• The Community is built on Khoros - an application that is not owned by Atlassian.  So I think it's probably they whom we should be asking for an app!  (I had a quick look in Google Play and the apps there seemed to be for their marketing services, not Community apps)
  • The Community is on an older version of the Khoros platform, and my understanding is that there are plans to move to a newer version.  So I don't think it would be worth anyone trying to build an app for the current Community!  It should be for the newer version.
Like Anzar likes this
Anzar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Your opinion is respected and appreciated. And thanks for bringing in knowledge(I was not knowing about Khoros honestly) to the post.

I had a question here, what more rights can be given and on what conditions to the people for a particular post?
You just mentioned the leaders have some moderation rights.

Like Shreya Dutta likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

I'm not sure, I've always had moderation rights.  I can (but rarely do) edit other people's posts.  I can delete some types of post (I never do that), move posts to different places, and mark suspected spam.  Plus I can get into the list of things the anti-spam bots, and other leaders have flagged, and pull the items out back into public.  There are a few places I know I can use that others can't see.  The three I'm aware of are the collection of articles for leaders, the list of abuse reports, and the "removed posts" area where we move duplicates or suspect posts too.

Like Anzar likes this
Anzar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2022

Also, I'd just like to add a point and the Community is open to adding more suggestions as and when they come up with:

• Reactions to posts (similar to LinkedIn but not exactly the same) can be added to improvise interactivity and engagement over the posts.
Like Shreya Dutta likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events