Alternatives to Scroll Viewport for confluence cloud - great looking technical documentation

Adam Smith February 26, 2018

I saw scroll viewport which looks like a great app, but is only available on the server version of confluence. - https://www.atlassian.com/blog/add-ons/5-real-life-examples-beautiful-technical-documentation

We use the Cloud version, does anybody know of any other great apps which can also be used to create looking online documentation for customers? 

I've seen this discussion but doesn't give many options: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Scroll-Versions-for-cloud-hosted-Confluence/qaq-p/31458

4 answers

3 votes
Shannon Meehan _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 4, 2019

Hi @Adam Smith , 

Scroll Viewport is still only available for Server or Data Center, but a Cloud alternative here would be Scroll Documents, which you can use to create a public library for your documents and even multi-page documents.

It's more lightweight on the customization end, but offers a lot of benefits for the authoring side of things like versioning, a great diffing feature, and an integration with our Exporter apps. Here’s a blog post that outlines this solution, with a couple examples of live public sites and libraries to take a look at. 

A great example is ThinkTilt's ProForma documentation. They're using Scroll Documents to author, version, and publish the docs and Refined Spaces for Confluence to style the look and feel.

If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help or show you a demo of the app. Just get in touch with us: hello@k15t.com.

Cheers, 

Shannon (K15t)

paulo.lima April 14, 2020

Boa tarde!

Pode nos informar a diferença entre o Scroll Documents e o Refined Spaces for Confluence? Não está muito claro.

Precisamos publicar alguns documentos para clientes externos e gostaríamos que esses documentos tivessem nossas customizações.

Qual seria o melhor modelo?

Atenciosamente,

Paulo Lima.

Shannon Meehan _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2020

Hi Paulo, 

Scroll Documents is geared more toward the versioning, management and change tracking of your documentation in Confluence, whereas Refined Spaces is about theming the content. 

If you're looking to cut down on apps, you can still publish your documents publicly with Scroll Documents where readers can see and read documents from the Library like this example here. As you can see, you can add a custom cover image to each document and you are able to read the whole document (multiple Confluence pages) at once. 

But since it's not a theming app, teams like ThinkTilt have added Refined Spaces in order to offer an experience that doesn't look and feel like Confluence. 

As my colleagues have stated here, Scroll Viewport for Confluence Cloud is coming soon, so that could potentially be a solution for you as well if you're looking for something even more customizable.

Cheers,

Shannon (K15t)

1 vote
Laura Parraga -K15t- January 17, 2020

Hi @Adam Smith 

You might be interested in hearing that we are currently looking to bring Scroll Viewport to Confluence Cloud customers.

I know your post is a few years old now, but if it’s still relevant we would love to hear more about your use case. Even if you have already moved on to implement a different solution, we'd be interested in learning more about the current way you are bringing documentation to your customers and chat about ways to improve this.

If you're interested, we would like to take 1 hour of your time and explore some these questions with you. Just send us an email to hello@k15t.com (subject: Viewport Cloud Interview) and we will find a time that suits you.

Cheers, 

Laura (K15t)

Michelle Cowan April 2, 2020

When will Scroll Viewport be available for Confluence Cloud?

Thanks,

Michelle

Laura Parraga -K15t- April 14, 2020

Hi Michelle!

Thanks for your interest! Scroll Viewport for Confluence Cloud will be available in a few weeks from now. You can sign up for updates here and we'll notify you with the release date: https://www.k15t.com/software/scroll-viewport/scroll-viewport-for-confluence-cloud

Thanks,

Laura

Vitalii Panasiuk September 18, 2023

@Laura Parraga -K15t- , it's available, but doesn't work well.

There is an issue with the "Show more" feature and the Scroll Viewport team doesn't have time to fix it for now.

Also, there is no ability to migrate a theme from the Server to the Cloud version of the Scroll Viewport plugin.

Laura Parraga -K15t- September 22, 2023

@Vitalii Panasiuk , yes you are right. The 'recently updated' macro isn't fully supported at the moment as it's displaying links (e.g. 'show more') that don't work in Viewport. We will however evaluate supporting this macro as part of future improvements.

It's also true that there's no way to migrate a theme from Server to Cloud. For anyone struggling with this, please reach out to help@k15t.com and we will advise you on the best way forward for your particular case (i.e. theme).

Heydi Menéndez October 2, 2023

Hello @Laura Parraga -K15t-  I recently wrote you a e-mail requesting for a demo of your plugins . Can we get in touch for this ??

Regards.

Heydi

Laura Parraga -K15t- October 2, 2023

Hey @Heydi Menéndez ! I'm sorry that no one seemed to have answered your email. Did you send it to hello@k15t.com, as mentioned above? That is an older message and the email address is also outdated.

I recommend that you write us again on help@k15t.com or directly to me: lparraga@k15t.com. We are more than happy to arrange a demo!

Like Shannon Meehan _K15t_ likes this
Heydi Menéndez October 3, 2023

Hi!! @Laura Parraga -K15t-  I just forwarded the message to you directly. Thank you !!

1 vote
roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Hi Adam.

I only know of this alternative for Cloud: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/instant-websites/cloud/overview.

If you would like to be notified when we start working on Viewport for Cloud, please watch and vote on this Jira issue. Sign up for an account in our Jira to watch and vote for this issue.

Cheers,
Roman.

0 votes
paulo.lima April 13, 2020

Também gostaria de saber quando o Scroll Viewport estará disponível para o Confluence Cloud? 

Existe algo parecido ou melhor para datacenter e servers?

Podem me ajudar, por favor?

Atenciosamente,

Paulo Lima.

Laura Parraga -K15t- April 14, 2020

Hi Paulo,

Scroll Viewport for Confluence Cloud will be available in a few weeks from now. You can sign up for updates here and we'll notify you with the release date: https://www.k15t.com/software/scroll-viewport/scroll-viewport-for-confluence-cloud

Scroll Viewport is available for Server and Datacenter here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211636/scroll-viewport-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

I hope I was able to help.

Thanks,

Laura (K15t)

Guido Leenders June 12, 2020

Is there a way to download the site, alter it and upload it to a different domain?

the google indexing of confluence is bad compared to results we get on documents published on our domain using another authoring tool. 

Laura Parraga -K15t- June 17, 2020

Hi Guido,

If you were thinking of using Scroll Viewport for Cloud and are concerned about indexing of your documents, I just wanted to note here that the Viewport site you generate with our app is hosted by us as a static site, so the indexing performs considerably better than a raw Confluence page that you make public to the web.

If you still wanted to download, alter and upload the Viewport site to a different domain: This is currently not possible on Confluence Cloud, but is something we have on our radar. I'm always happy to discuss details and find out more about your requirements in that space. You can reach out to lparraga@k15t.com.

Cheers,

Laura

Guido Leenders June 17, 2020

Thx, will do so. It is indeed for self-hosting, to take advantage of google ranking the pages more correctly. Text on Confluence is not really found by Google which hinders our community.

Guido Leenders June 17, 2020

Deployed and then added long lifetime cloudfront CDN. Performance is amazing, typical page loads around 10 ms per article. Required mappings below. Only less nice factor is that not all paths are below the chosen prefix ('kb' in this case), so you can add at most one environment in this easy way.

2020-06-17 18_23_15-AWS CloudFront Management Console.png

Laura Parraga -K15t- November 18, 2020

We are happy to announce that configuring your own custom domains is now part of the feature set that Scroll Viewport for Confluence Cloud ships with.

Using a custom domain for your Viewport site is a great way to further customise and make the Help Center really look and feel yours. 

Scroll Viewport for Confluence Cloud is available for a free 30 day trial in the Atlassian marketplace. If you have more questions, we're here to help: help@k15t.com

Cheers,

Laura

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events