How is the 'median' on the Control Chart calculated?

Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 31, 2019

Hi community,

I'm currently studying for ACP-300 exam and i would like to figure out how the 'median' on the Control Chart is calculated.

Could someone further explain me what is the purpose of the meadian time and the differences with the average time also displayed in the chart?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2019

Hi @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ ,

median time and average time are calculated from the same pool of issues. Each issue will come up with a time spent "working on it", i.e. time spent in the selected columns/statuses. Then the formulas are applied to the scope and you get the median and average values. It is just different ways of interpreting data.

Antoine

Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 1, 2019

All clear, thanks for your kind response.

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Vincent Fong July 8, 2021

Does average mean the average time it takes for a ticket to go from start to done?  I understand median would be the preferred "average" if the there were a lot of variation or noise in the data, or simply if the standard deviation was larger than say 1?

Suggest an answer