How come I cannot pre-populate the Description field in business version when I can in free trial?

Tommy Harris June 13, 2022

In the free trial version of Jira I can go to Project settings/Issue types and enter the pre-populated text that I would like all PO's and PM's to use as a template to creating issues. 

2022-06-13 11h22_27.jpgNotice the mouse pointer here.

2022-06-13 11h17_28.jpg

But in the business/enterprise version I no longer have this option. Notice the mouse pointer is changed and is a grab cursor.

2022-06-13 11h19_37.jpg

My question here is why is there are difference and has something changed between the trial version and the enterprise/business version? Did something change with the introduction of workflows?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Tommy Harris

Can you check the project type of the projects ?

The option you are showing is also found in business/enterprise version BUT in the Team-Managed projects, not the company-managed projects.

image.png

Please check the type of the project and let us know if both of the projects you are comparing are of the same type.

Thanks,

David
ServiceRocket Team

Hi @David Freitez

Thank you for the quick response.

In the example screenshot above (trial version) it was a team managed project. 

In the current implementation of Jira for the entire business, all of the projects are company-managed projects. Hopefully this help and I appreciate your feedback.

I guess the real question is can I pre-populate the issue description in a company-managed project(s)?2022-06-13 11h17_28.jpg

Like Henry Chad Apale likes this
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2022

Hi @Tommy Harris

Thanks for conforming the types of the projects.

Unfortunately, it is not possible on a company-managed project to set a default on a System field such as Description.

Here is a request raised to Atlassian regarding this: Default values of system fields, we invite you to vote for it so you can get the latest news on it.

Having said that, there is a workaround which consists in creating a new custom field  with a default value that will pose as the description system field and later do a switch,  here is the a detailed Atlassian Community post about it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/How-to-create-a-template-for-issue-description/qaq-p/1041636

Hopefully this answers your question,

David
ServiceRocket

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

The software is the same, whatever the licence.

It looks to me like you might be looking into two different types of project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events