Copy value in default jira Status field to another field using automation

Steven Bladeni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 5, 2024

Wanting to copy the default jira "Status" field value to a custom field called "Roadmap Status" when Status changes.

I can't seem to get this working using automation.

A few questions 

1. How can you construct this using jira automation?

2. Does it matter what type of field my custom field is? Text vs Single Select? I have currently set up the "Roadmap Status" field as a Single Select with the same values as the jira Status stages.

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hello @Steven Bladeni 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

When asking for help with an automation rule that is not working as you intend there are details you need to provide so that we can help you.

First we need images showing your complete rule and the details of each step.

Second, we need to see the details of the Audit Log for an execution of the rule. Third we need you to explain what results you are getting versus the results you want to get.

Also I recommend that you make liberal use of the Log Action in your rule to write into the Audit Log any smart values you are trying to use.

0 votes
Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2024

Hello, Good day. To confirm, do you want to copy the status value to a custom field when the issue is transitioned to a specific status ? or the customer field should always have the status of the issue ?

If you are looking to create "Single select" field then you need to add all these values to the field value or you can use the text field to copy the status name. I would recommend text field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events