Automation Edit Issue when Transition to Closed

David Weir June 10, 2022

I have an automation set up that when an issue is transitioned to In Progress it sets the Start Date to {{now}}. I want to also have automation for setting the End Date when the issue is transition to Closed. It works when I manually trigger it, so I assume the editing in the automation is being prevented by the fact that the issue is closed. Is there some workaround I could do for this?

2022-06-10_13h20_27.png2022-06-10_13h27_01.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Yes the automation happens after the issue is in the done status category. You can change the closed status property to allow editing when in done. See this article to get you started. - how-do-i-edit-closed-issues .

David Weir June 10, 2022

If I remove that restriction for the Closed status, will it affect all projects using that status?

David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Hi @David Weir

Yes, when doing a workflow change, you need to check where the workflow is being used and know that you could potentially be affecting those other projects.

If that's your case, there are probably two things you may need to check:

• Workflow
  • Workflow Scheme.

Both of them can be shared among projects, so if you want your changes only to affect one project, you'll need to copy them and make the project you want the changes on use them.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Hi @David Weir

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Apparently the Issue is no longer editable when it is on the Closed status.  Check your workflow, there could be a property (jira.issue.editable = false) on the status that is disabling the editing causing the rule to fail.

Regards,

David
ServiceRocket

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Hi @David Weir and welcome to the community,

for me it seems like a problem with screen schemes. Is the field end date configured in you edit screen? You could check this by efiting the issue manually and check if the field is available in the edit screen.

Best
Stefan

David Weir June 10, 2022

It is if the issue is not closed. My issues use the same screen for Create, Edit, and Viewing an issue. When the issue is closed I believe Jira hides empty fields.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events