informing users of jira changes

Aileen Grant May 22, 2017

Does anyone have something set up that informs users of changes to their Jira? I want to set something up because sometimes I will get requests to change components, custom field names or even issue type names. This then affects users filters and in turn this affects their dashboards and reports. I'm not able to check what filters use these before I change them so I want to find a way to let users know I have made changes. I thought about a sort of knowledge base in confluence but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone had something like this already and what suggestions they had? Thanks

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

That's pretty much what the announcement banner is intended for - a short warning that things are changing, whcih I usually add either the JIRA issue ID to, or point people to a confluence page for more information if it's a bit longer than a simple jira config change.

Aileen Grant May 22, 2017

Do you keep an area in confluence for historic changes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Depends on what we're trying to document, but generally no, as the JIRA request to make changes is usually enough.

Aileen Grant May 23, 2017

ok thank you

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2017

Hey Aileen,

I'm with Nic on this - a note in the announcement banner with a link to more info on the change in Confluence.  Additionally, you could use JIRA's "Send E-mail" feature to notify all users or all users in a role or group.  (But what's the fun in storing change history in email?)  ;)

Finally, if you have the Server version, I'd take this one step further by detecting specific users who are sure to be impacted.

Take a look at the "searchrequest" table in the database.  The "reqcontent" field stores a filter's query.  I do a "like" search to find the name of the status or issue type or custom field I've changed.  Then I send a quick message to the author, showing their filter title and filter ID, so they can either update or remove it.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Aileen Grant May 23, 2017

Thats great thanks Rachel

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events