how to set a dev instance in cloud with production data of jira cloud

Zehra Atmaca May 7, 2021

For one of my customers, we need a dev instance in cloud for testing purposes.

Daily we're backupping the production instance which is also in cloud.

When we've tried to restore the backup on dev, it could not be done because the backup has exceeded the maximum size. Atlassian support can also not help us with restoring. They only restore data on production instance if the problem is caused by Atlassian.

Also when we would ask them to restore data on production, this will probably take at least 24h till the restore is done. That means customer will lose data between the request time and the execution time of the restore. This seems an organization risk and a no-go for the customer to continue working with Atlassian tools. 

What is the best practices to protect data??

I'm sure there will be others who has experienced the same problem. Any idea would be helpful. 

Thank you in advance.

1 comment

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Hi @Zehra Atmaca ,

This client Cloud environment on what plan are they? 

If they are on premium then they are entitled to a Sandbox environment used for testing/dev/...

With this sandbox you also have the ability to copy over data from the production instance to the sandbox environment.

https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/manage-product-sandboxes/

Zehra Atmaca May 10, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans 

It's a premium plan. We have setup up a sandbox but could not restore production data on it because the limit of backup size is exceeded.

That means the backups we're daily taking does not make any sense...

How does other companies on premium plan handle in this matter?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hi @Zehra Atmaca ,

How exactly how you restoring the data? Did you manually take a backup and try to restore it or use the functionality of the sandbox system to "copy production data"

Zehra Atmaca May 10, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans 

If I'm not wrong, my colleague has tried restoring a backup which is manually taken.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events