Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With Agile in decline, how will that affect Jira?

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2022

I see a lot of people openly abandoning Agile rituals (mostly Scrum) and even authors of the Agile manifesto regret the way that has led to the monster that is Agile today (again with focus on Scrum).

I have personally abandoned Agile as a ritual a long time ago since it only works in situations where you have the cost and time locked, but not scope, which are very rare situations in the companies I have worked for (huge international ones all the way down to small local ones). Instead, I build Jira and Confluence around a practical setup that support work on strategic level down to operational without the isolation of Scrum.

This is also where I see many others do as well, not just here in Sweden, but globally.

As Jira is built around Scrum and Kanban with a clear focus on Agile, my question is if this is something that Atlassian also is noticing and if so, how will this be handled in the future when terms Scrum and Kanban may not be as popular, or even the opposite in many cases?

I feel that there is a huge gap right now between Jira as an Agile task management system to Portfolio management, which by definition is traditional based around time and money. I also feel that there is a big section missing in the resource management part where even BigPicture is not really working as it is feeding content upstream from Jira and not the other way around...

Just curious to hear if this is on the radar and if there are any thoughts on how to meet this from the clients?

1 comment

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2022

This likely belongs in the discussions collection since there is really no "right" answer here. At least IMO. Here are my thoughts...

1. I don't expect agile to disappear personally. Rather I see it being used with a lot of software groups religiously and I also see variations of agile being adopted to meet individual's needs. I think the key process that will continue is the idea of MVP and short sprints. Those concepts seem well suited for many types of work even outside of software.
  2. I think that Jira will survive any changes to the agile world because it is quite flexible. While it might be founded in agile principles I don't believe it is so rigid that it cannot be used for agile–like or even non-agile.
  3. With that said I believe that if the world completely turned from agile to some new principles and methodologies then I think Atlassian would pivot as well.

just my $0.02

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2022

I would agree with @Jack Brickey, some form of the agile practice will hang around. Kanban is such a developed process that has been around since the 1940s and works outside of software teams as well. 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events