What is your work flow for reviewing bugs?

James Hudson April 30, 2021

What I find myself doing often it going through all of the bugs assigned to me to organize them. I might adjust priority, add/remove tags, change workflow status, etc.

What I have been doing is using a filtered list and then I open all of the bugs in a new tab in the browser and go through them one at a time. The process of opening each bug in a tab is cumbersome and I was wondering if there was an easier or better way.

If you do the same thing, I am wondering how to handle it.

I was also wondering if supporting such a process would make for a good feature request. Start with a filtered list, press a "Review" button, provide a way to mark an issue as reviewed or not to track what has and has not been reviewed.

One other method I was considering is bulk editing a filtered list to add a label (ToReview) and then have another filtered list to show me all of the bugs with that label. Remove the label to declare the issue has been reviewed. The problem with this is bulk editing can screw things up if the wrong button is pressed. It has been disabled in my environment.

I am rambling a bit....these are just some thoughts roaming around in my head.

1 comment

Comment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

Hi @James Hudson 

Have you paused to consider how you and your team perform intake, defect triage, and expediting, and use Jira to manage that with a board/process? You could enhance that using Automation for Jira rules to transition issues based upon disposition to the appropriate support tier/team.

Best regards,

Bill

Yes. The kind of bureaucracy you describe would not be a good fit. 

I find it useful to be able to review the bugs assigned to me and make adjustments as necessary. I am only seeking ideas for how to improve the process for determining what I have and have not looked at.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

Hi, James.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'd note whatever works for you, works for you.  Other teams need other things to manage defects collaboratively as they share work transparency, accountability, and delivery.

If you are indeed working solo, maybe just add a label when you have reviewed issues.  The absence of the label means things need review.  This approach eliminates the need to bulk-edit things to add a label and trigger start of review.

When I review the issues, I like to review in bulk. Hence, my description above about opening a tab for each open issue and using an open tab to tell me that I still need to review the issue. This works. It works well, except it is cumbersome to click through all of the issues and open a tab for all of them. 

I could, as you sorta suggest, bulk edit all of the issues and add a label "ToReview" to them, but bulk editing can be dangerous and I avoid doing it. Given the danger, I am unlikely to use it as a solution.

It would be nice if there was a way to go to a filtered list and, after looking at an issue, have it removed from that filtered list.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events