What are the good terminology to define those 3 kinds of Jira template (Issues, Pages, Activity)

Pascal Beaudry January 26, 2018

I'm the product manager of Gaia Suite, from Nuum Solutions.

I want to start a discussion to know what is the best terminology to talk about 3 kinds of template we put in place in Jira.

We think the terminology is using are not efficient because it could be mixed up with other existing kind of template.

We want to know what you think about those terminology and do you have a better terminology to propose.

• Issues Template: for us, an issue template is a template that defines a list of issues. We use it to bulk create a list of issues and their subtasks in a project, keeping issues link, Epic links and including text macro replacement.
    • Problems:
      • The terminology "Issue Template" is already used by other Jira Apps to define a template to fill the content of 1 issue when using "Create Issue" function.
    • Other possible terminology:
      • We were thinking of using the terminology, "Issues List Template"
  • Pages Template: for us, a pages template is a template that defines a list of pages in Confluence. We use it to bulk create a hierarchy(Tree) of pages in a confluence space from Jira. It keeps the link between created page and with the list of Issue created at the same time. It also includes text macro replacement.
    • Problems:
      • The terminology "Page Template" is already used by Confluence to define a template to fill the content of 1 page when using "Create From Template" function.
    • Other possible terminology:
      • We were thinking of using the terminology "Pages Tree Template" or "Pages Hierarchy Template"
  • Activity Template: for us, an Activity Template is a template that defines a group of "Issues Templates" and "Pages Templates" that could be created together. We use it to bulk create Issues and Pages in Jira and Confluence from Jira. it keeps the link between each created Issues and Pages. it could also be used to create a new kind of object in Jira, an Activity. This activity allows the user to monitor the progression of each issue created with the Activity.
    • Problems:
      • The definition of "Activity" is very large and we are scared that it could be misunderstood by the end user.

So,

• What do you think ?
  • Do you have better terminology to propose to define one of our templates ?

Our product related to this discussion:

The 10% top answer will get a free licence of Gaia Activity. The most useful will get a free licence of all Gaia Suite products.

Thanks to help us

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2018

For Issue template, I always think "someone wants to pre-fill an issue", not a set of them.  The plural "issues" in there does make sense, but I had to read it several times before I saw it.

I think your "Issue List Template" is far better, but also sort of want to say "Template a set of issues"

The same opinion goes for Page Template (and Confluence already does it).  "Page Tree Template" sounds absolutely right immediately though.

For "Activity Template", I've found them very useful, but very hard to explain within a couple of words.  The main reason is that people say "I want to do a new project, can you set me up with some standard stuff".  Yes, I can with Gaia, but the word "project" is used for several things in the Atlassian stack, but not across all of them.  It would be a lot easier if Atlassian renamed "Spaces" to "Projects" in Confluence, then we could use "Project Template".  The best I can come up with at the moment is far too consultant-jargon to be useful.  I work with "the Atlassian stack", so I'd say "Stack Template"

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events