Update a custom field on JIRA with commit messages from Bitbucket

lssilveira11 January 21, 2019

Hello everyone!

After an Issue was marked as Resolved (by a transition) on JIRA, I want to gather all pull requests texts and commit messages linked to that issue on Bitbucket and, then, update a custom issue field, called "Fix", so these texts could be found by a simple search in JIRA.

I think that by creating a plugin on JIRA, I could reach that.

Is that possible? Any ideas on how do I do that?

Thanks!

1 comment

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

You are trying to duplicate the information in Development Panel of an issue in the custom field? Any reason why you want to do that? You can see all that information in the development panel already, right?

If you must need it in the custom field, you should be able to make use of the same REST APIs used in the development panel to gather that information and populate the details in the custom field in any way you want.

Like lssilveira11 likes this
lssilveira11 January 21, 2019

Thanks Jobin!

Yes, we want to duplicate that information in JIRA, so it could be included in searchs by "contains text".

Do you think that I could reach that through a custom post function in the transition to "Done"? Or there's other way? How do I do that? Could you give me a simple guideline?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

When I had worked on a gadget to display the same info, sometime back, there was no Java API available. I had to rely on the REST APIs to retrieve the info. It was easier too as I was working on the gadget.

You will have to probably use the same REST APIs to populate the information on a read only custom field's view template and see how that works.

Like lssilveira11 likes this
lssilveira11 January 23, 2019

Thanks! I will learn more about it.

Yaron Azar March 17, 2021

Hello,

Any progress with that?

Did you manage to to retrieve the data from the Development panel to selected custom field?

Shreesh Narayan Singh March 23, 2021

Hey @lssilveira11 , @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]  & @Yaron Azar ,

Did you guys find any way to auto-populate a custom field in JIRA while doing commits & pull requests merged in Bitbucket out of the box(i.e. without using any JAVA or REST APIs) ?

Thanks in adavance!!

Yaron Azar March 24, 2021

Yes - if you are using Jira cloud.

You have the build in Automation which allow you to catch actions in bitbucket and update selected fields:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Check for DevOps triggers:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automation-triggers/

I manage to update filed and add comments per branch create and pull request merge.

Shreesh Narayan Singh March 30, 2021

Thanks @Yaron Azar !!

But I am currently using Data Center Version so these options won't work for me, I guess.

So is there any other thing which you guys @lssilveira11 , @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] could provide ?

lssilveira11 March 30, 2021

Hi @Yaron Azar !

Sorry, I couldn't implement this and I didn't have any new thoughts on how to make it.

Maybe, there's a way to do it by setting a Post Function on some transition trigger that posts on a webhook, which will be responsible for capture the pull request/commit data and then fill the custom Jira issue field.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events