Transition screen Vs Issue Operation screen

rekha Velur April 29, 2021

Hello all,

I am creating a Jira software - cloud project from scratch. I am a bit confused about using the transition screen and issue operation screen( issue edit). Someone, please explain.

Thanks,

Rekha

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Where are you confused?   

I mean from this list of what transitions are for:

• You have an issue in one status
  • You want to change it to another, so a person triggers a transition
  • There are conditions that stop them from being able to do a transition if there are things that should stop them (for example, they're not authorised, or a field is empty, etc)
  • The transition can offer them a screen (list of fields) to update as they execute the change of status
  • Validators can then check data and block the transition if there any things that are wrong with it
  • Assuming it's all ok, there are a list of post-functions that actually make the changes to the data (and you can add your own), notably including "fire an event"
  • And then you're done, issue is in new status, with any updated data from the transition screen

The Edit operation however is

• A screen (list of fields) that you can edit 
  • An issue updated event is fired when you commit your changes
rekha Velur April 30, 2021

Thanks for your comments!

I have created an issue edit screen and added all the fields needed.

For example "new" - "In Progress" transition added a validation. Here, can I reuse the issue edit screen or create another screen only used on this transition. And why? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

So, screens are not locked to any particular purpose.  They're a resource that can be reused in any place you want.

They really are just "a list of fields to present to a human" and can be used by anything that needs to be able to offer a human a set of fields.

So, yes, you can use the same screen for edit and a transition, or use different ones.  Some projects happily use the same screen for create, view, and edit, and a "resolve" screen for closing issues (it has a resolution filed on it, the others do not).  Others will use totally different screens for every different action.

This is one of the things Jira is good for - huge flexibility (at the price of being not easy to admin)

Validation has nothing to do with screens, other than it's done in the workflow near the screens.

rekha Velur May 3, 2021

Thanks for explaining. 

My  Edit Issue screen has many fields, so I think it will be easier for the users if I have a different screen for the transition when the validation is only for one / two fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Yes, where you can keep a transition simple, do so, always a good idea!

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

Hi Rekha,

Here is an explanation of the workflow which explains at a very high level all the components of the advanced workflows settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj8ZrQbWlQ

Here is an overview of transitions screens and how to create them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIKYX-z4meM 

I hope this helps.  

rekha Velur May 3, 2021

Thank you.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events