Time Logging - gross ot net

Max Bower January 23, 2018

Hi all,

When ever I log time I'm asking all the time if I do the net or gross time.

I know if I decide to do one, I have to stick with it - but how to decide - and how to respect this in estimation?

How and why do you  chose one over the other.

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Sorry, I'm not sure what netto/brutto means in English, so I'm not sure what feature of the time log you are referring to.

Max Bower January 24, 2018

Sorry, its gross & net - maybe this is better.

One is like ~ 8h per day (time in office) and the other is the real actual working time (no toilet, coffee break, answering no mails that are not related to the task).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Ah, thank you.  That makes sense.  I think I got "net", but "brutto" translates to "ugly" when you run it through google.  I suspect google is thinking in "American English" rather than English (I'd say "brutish" is a better translation in English).   "Gross" in American is a strong synonym for "ugly", but in English, we will think "before tax", "huge or obvious" or even 144, before we think "ugly".

Anyway.  This is not something Jira will normally ask you on a work log.  I think you have Tempo installed and it has been set up to require you to answer this question.

So, "how to decide" is something you need to ask of the admins who set this up.  They have (hopefully!) done it for a good reason, but I can't guess what that might be.

Max Bower January 25, 2018

Languages ... ;)

Bu on topic:
No there is no special plugin installed, normal time logging - but still the question is for it what do you log. Maybe someone would not even think about it, but after all, these are two different values so you do one or the other.

I would be interested in the reason for (anybody) doing(net) this or that(Gross/brutish) - nor maybe not even logging at all(?).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2018

I am confused.  I am not asked for gross/net or anything like it when logging time.

Max Bower January 26, 2018

yes, your are not asked, but implicit you have to log one or the other - even without knowing - just think about it ... 

Mixing it up makes no sense ... or aren't you logging at all?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events