Testing using Confluence and JIRA.

Melissa Espinosa December 14, 2017

Hi good day.
Can you recommend me how to perform test cases in Confluence and JIRA? including tracking, writing and control of test cases, test plan, etcetera.

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

The general advice you're going to find here is "do it in Jira".  Confluence is for free-format documentation and collaboration on blocks of human-facing data.  Jira is aligned with discreet tasks, one of which can, of course, be testing.

However, Jira is a crap testing management tool on its own.  It's an issue tracker, not a test management tool.  Of all the Atlassian suite, it is by far the closest you will get, but it is crap alone.  You can spend a load of time trying to make it into one, but it's never going to be anything better than "just about does it".

Please, reach for a Test Management add-on.  Try the high rated ones on the Marketplace ( https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=test ).  Some may work better for you than others.

Of course, I would really like you to pick a certain one of those, as I work for Adaptavist, but I am hoping that you can see past that and see my advice as I intend it to be - a neutral and hopefully helpful "Use Jira with a Test Management add-on", rather than a sales pitch.

Melissa Espinosa December 14, 2017

I agree that JIRS alone does not provide control and effective monitoring, because it's necessary for my organization.

Then, for generation, control and monitoring of test cases, basically do I need to use more that ono complement?

Additionally, the use of templates confluence and test sessions, would it be recommended to use it?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Yes, Jira is the best tool in the Atlassian stack for Test Management, but you do need add-ons to make it work usefully in that way.

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2017

If you are looking for a 'Full Testing Solution' from JIRA, I would suggest you having a looks at our SynapseRT JIRA addon. It can manage your test cases, test plan, test assignment, execution, defect report and test report. In addition, it also provices end to end traceability between requirement, test case and test result (defect). It also helps user build requirement hierarchy and test case coverage.

Here is the addon web site: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.go2group.jira.plugin.synapse/server/overview

Cheney

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events