Super newbie to Jira

Shawn B. October 2, 2019

OK, I have the most basic question (I hope). :) I am new to this global company and they use Jira and they want me to find enhancement and ways to improve the ticketing system. 

I am ITIL certified and am familiar with Cherwell, Service Now and Remedy but is everything that Jira does for ticket tracking a "project"?

In almost all other ticketing systems you can define a ticket as an Incident (break\fix), Service Request, Change or a project. For our Service Desk all of our tickets are projects. I am not sure if it is a configuration setting or something that needs to be defined within a project?

I have included a pic of the queue since I am unsure of the version we have as when I hit the help button I don't see a version. 

Any help - direction is appreciated.Jira.PNG

3 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 2, 2019

Welcome!

For Jira Service Desk the project is the area covered by the service desk for example you may have a project for HR requests, another for internal IT issues, and a third for requests with customers - as the relevant agents would be different for each project.

Incident (break\fix), Service Request, Change or a project classifications would be made at an issue type or request type level.

Your Jira version is "Cloud".  :)

I'll see if I can find some more details information for you.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 2, 2019

This app is for Jira Server, but you can look at the workflow diagrams to get an idea o how to configure your Jira Service Desk on Cloud to support ITIL processes.

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Hi @Shawn B. 

Think about "project" in JIRA as a set of configuration defining this project and storage for issues from this project.

In every project you can define issue types (Service Request, Incident, etc.). For every issue type you can:

- define set of fields that will be appear when user will choose proper issue type

- define workflow - set of statuses and transitions which define how e.g. incident process works

Also you can defide:

- permissions scheme which define what permission your users will have in your project

- notifications scheme -  about what events your users will be notified.

I hope that this clarify a little bit :)

Shawn B. October 2, 2019

Sebastian,

Yes that helps... so everything is a project. Within that project you can then define if it is a INC, Service Request etc.

Do you have a helpful link on how to pull reports from Jira to distinguish INC and SR's within the project?

Shawn B. October 2, 2019

Thanks Kat, I was poking around and it would appear that Jira uses icons if it is a Incident, Service request etc. I am thinking that it has been the service desk guys that have not been entering tickets into the system correctly all this time. Under "Issue Type" there other options that I am assuming change the categoryJira options.PNG of the ticket?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
October 2, 2019

Yes - and Jira is highly configurable 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events