Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stories remain in TO DO column with subtasks

Ronen Shter October 23, 2021

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how Jira is working and whether I can fix it. 

When I have stories any sub tasks I can move them from TO-DO to In progress (very simple board). Once I add sub tasks the story moved back to TO-DO column. I cannot move the story to In progress (manually). Moving the sub tasks is without any problem. 

Is this something in setting or how Jira should work.

Thanks,

Ronen

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2021

>Once I add sub tasks the story moved back to TO-DO column.

This will only happen automatically if someone has set up an automation or script to do it.  You need to talk to your admins about getting that removed or re-configured.

Ronen Shter October 24, 2021

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the quick answer. I am the admin and I did not create any automation for a story level. To make sure I provide all the relevant information. The story it self can be In Progress but I cannot see it under the In Progress column. It remains under the TO DO column with In progress state. When there are no sub tasks it can move along its state to the relevant column. 

Is there something automatic that reside in the basic configuration?

Thanks,
Ronen

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2021

Jira does not set up any configuration that would do this by default, your admins have to add it.

If you see a story is in the wrong column, then you'll need to change its status to get it back into the right column.

Ronen Shter October 24, 2021

Hi Nic,

Please see the example:

Story A has 3 subtasks. 2 in Done 1 in Progress. The story itself remains in the TO DO column although it is in Progress (marked with red arrow). I would like to see it in the In progress column

Story C does not have sub tasks and I was able to move it to In progress column

I hope this explains what I am trying to fix

I came from Rally world and there the story moved with the tasks 

Thanks,

Ronen

Jira example.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

That's not in the to-do column, it's a swim-lane header - it's a bit misleading in this view that the text fits under the column heading, but the white bar with the VIS-15 issue in it actually goes across the whole screen (all three columns)

When you set "swimlanes by story", it will put stories (and of course sub-tasks) with no sub-tasks into the columns, but the stories that do have sub-tasks become swimlane headers.

Ronen Shter October 27, 2021

Thanks a lot. I understand now. It is misleading 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events