Should assignee change whenever a user is requested for informations/actions?

Gabriel Sambarino October 2, 2020

Greetings all,

in my previous company we had always our issues assigned to the person who was responsible for the issue at that specific time , regardless of whether they were being asked for feedback/thought/informations, or they were requested to action the issue.

For example:

1. user A creates the issue, becomes Reporter
  2. user B picks up the issue, assings to herself
  3. user B finds out they need more informations from user C, assigns the issue to user C
  4. user C adds more informations and assign back to user B
  5. finally, user B completes the work and assigns back to the reporter.

This can end up being a carousel of assignee changes, but I like it because everyone can see what issues are waiting for them.

Are there other recommended ways to handle this? Any suggested improvements?

TIA!

1 comment

Comment

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

Hi @Gabriel Sambarino 

I think the B to C and back again makes sense (so long as there are appropriate internal notes from B explaining why they have assigned to C) - the only thing I found a bit odd in your flow was that the issue is then assigned to the reporter?  Would you not just let B mark as resolved?

Gabriel Sambarino October 5, 2020

Thanks for the answer @Liam Green !

On that last assignment to the reporter I do not have a strong opinion; I see it as a way to provide the reporter with a chance to verify and reopen if they feel the requirements have not been fulfilled. Not 100% sure about this, though.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

Hi @Gabriel Sambarino 

We don't often have cases where the reporter is an agent, so we don't work that way ourselves.

I can see advantages to it, as as you said the verification is a great point though.  I think the potential downside is that tickets that are 'done' but waiting to be marked as resolved by the Reporter might end up sitting in the queue for a while

Like Gabriel Sambarino likes this
Gabriel Sambarino October 5, 2020

I think the potential downside is that tickets that are 'done' but waiting to be marked as resolved by the Reporter might end up sitting in the queue for a while

Yup this is an issue to us, too, so I have asked my team to just close the issue, additionally leaving a comment telling the reporter they should feel free to reopen if they are not satisfied.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events