Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short task prioritization

Eitan yomtovian August 2, 2018

Hello,

I have a question about prioritizing short but not urgent tasks.
On the one hand, there are critical tasks (such as system downtime or sales order stalled) or tasks that are less urgent but have a long duration of work, while on the other hand there are tasks that are not urgent (critical) but have very short working hours.
The departments that request these tasks can't wait a long time until the other tasks ahead are finished.

The question is how to prioritize tasks?
Are there any methods that help or support this issue?

Thank you.

2 comments

Comment

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

Hi Eitan

I don't really believe that anyone external to your company should be advising you on the priority of your work. That said, it would probably make sense to have a mixture of large and small items.

You may want to look into a prioritisation method called Cost of delay, you may be surprised by what you get out of it, because it removes the subjectivity from your decisions

These are really two different streams of work that should be surfaced and treated as such. 

One stream sounds like a good fit for a first in first out queue in a Service Desk.

The other stream sounds like a more traditional effort where planned work is prioritized and flows across boards. 

I would keep these separate and either split to two teams, or offially reduce the capacity/velocity of the build team to account for this stream of unplanned work. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events