Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relation between board and project

Emanuele Bellini September 30, 2021

Dear all, here is a thing I am struggling since a while. During my job I happen to have regular meetings with a group of people, where we discuss what they are working on, which is usually tasks across different projects.

So, I would like to visualize under the same board this group of people and the tasks they are working on. This seems to be possible, but what looks weird to me (at least the way I do it), is that I have to "host" the board in a specific project.

I would expect boards and projects to be handled separately. 

Said in other words. A projects can involve different teams collaborating, while a team can be involved in different projects. A manager could be interested either in

1. following up with the status of a projects (through a project board), or in
  2. following up in the activities of the team (through a team board).

What do you think? Is this manageable in Jira and I am missing how to do it? If yes, could you tell me how? Or am I seeing things wrong and there is a reason why Jira does not allow to have team boards that are not tight to a project?

Thanks in advance for any of your inputs! 

1 comment

Comment

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

@Emanuele Bellini 

Let me start by assuring you that what you are asking is possible for the company managed projects. Team managed projects (formerly known as next-gen) work differently. 

To achieve what you want you need to be able to identify using JQL (issue search) the appropriate list of items to be included in your board. Then save that search as a shared filter setting appropriate access to the folks who need to see the board. (Note do not share with everyone as this can lead to exposure of information to unauthenticated users). 

Once you have the filter you can then build a new board based off the filter. 

Full instructions are at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/

Hope this helps you solve your problem.

Phill

Dear @Phill Fox, thanks for your prompt reply!

I am indeed using company managed projects, but when i create a board (see image), it always asks to define a location for the board, and the location seems to be a project. This seems confusing to me, as then I have a project that is different from the other ones, as it is "the one hosting the board". While in my mind all the projects are at the same level. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 4.02.32 PM.png

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

@Emanuele Bellini If you look at the Location field you can choose to host it in a project (which is appropriate if you are looking at only some issues on a project) or within your own profile. This latter option is a better match for what you were asking for a board that cuts across multiple projects but is not owned by an individual one. 

Phill

Like Emanuele Bellini likes this

@Phill Fox , oh, that's great, I have never noticed that, thanks so much for the tip!

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

@Emanuele Bellini 

Many people do not spot that option as they just see all the project names when they have a filter across projects. 

If this has answered your query would you mind marking this as answered so any other folks looking for this will easily find the resolution. 

Phill

I can't find how to mark it as answered. Any advice on that as well?

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

Sorry my fault I did not spot this was raised as a discussion rather than a question. So there is no way to mark it as answered. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events