Pros and Cons of individual or shared project configuration

Kostiantyn Shein May 3, 2017

Hi JIRA administrators,

It would be great if you could share your experience of using JIRA for 60+ projects without having a mess in all that schemes. 

Is it better to

1. create one shared configurations of workflows, issue types and screens and use it mandatory on all projects
  2. have an individual configuration per project

Right now I am mostly for #2, as it has big flexibility for each project without affecting others, but I will have 60+ configurations that probably noone exept me could deal with.

What is your experience?

3 comments

Comment

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2017

For 60 projects I would recommend #1, or create a small set of schemes. If you follow #2 you will spend more time updating every scheme in the future

It's the difference between a deli and a supermarket!

Kostiantyn Shein May 3, 2017

Matt, thank you, I like your comment.

So does this mean that for 60 projects we should say that "company rules" are over team's agility? Instead of allowing teams to try their own way they should just select one scheme from a set because it saves administrators time.

Steve Terelmes January 19, 2018

Does any one know how do the very valuable shared configuration in the new jira experience? That options has disappeared among the new project creation screens.

Like Sam Ayres likes this
Sebastien Goldorak Monday November 1, 2019

I had over 50+ project to manage, i had a mix of 1. and 2.  The Business unit was the common denominator.  I was sharing the same configuration within a business unit but each unit had it own configuration for security purpose.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events