Open source projects in Jira..??

Drew Angell January 20, 2019

I used to work primarily in GitHub/BitBucket Issues for our project management.  We moved into Jira about 8 months ago, and I like it a lot, but there's still one thing I'm a little confused about.

In GitHub/BitBucket, the nice thing is that we have a public repo where everybody can see what issues are in the backlog, and they can create their own issues to add to that backlog if they want to.  

This also allows them to see what work there is to get done, so if they want, they can contribute to the open source project and help us complete the work.

Now that we have all of our stuff moved into Jira, our GitHub/BitBucket repos looks kinda dead.  There are no more issues there, no more comments and action going on within our public repo there.

I feel like this was a step backwards in that regard.  We're still using GitHub/BitBucket for our projects in general, but I feel like I'm missing out on that public aspect now that it's all hidden behind Jira.

Am I missing something obvious?  Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 comment

Comment

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2019

Hey Andrew,

your use case seems interesting. Did you keep your tasks/issues in Bitbucket/GitHub? Or what kind of information was stored there that you can move it now entirely to Jira?

Some (untested) thoughts and ideas to your problem:

1. Jira is fine for internal collaboration but your right to access and work inside of Jira external users will need Jira licenses.
  2. In someways you can mitigate this by using confluence (where external users can work in without license).
  3. Another route to work in a public way would be to  use the Jira Service Desk and add all external people to a "customer organization" this way you could expose all open tickets to your external workers without them needing a license or access to Jira.
  4. You can possibly connect Jira and Bitbucket to let a usual Bitbucket workflow trigger issue creation etc. This way members of public projects which don't belong to Jira could most likely work in Bitbucket and internal people/project manager could still use the capabilities of jira.
  5. If you have an open source project you could also apply for an open source license (https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request) and use this instance for your public facing work.

Best regards,
Mario

Drew Angell January 20, 2019

Thanks for the feedback.  These seem like interesting options.  Unfortunately, they each seem to come with quite a bit of additional overhead.  

Yes, previously, I simply used BB/GH as the project management system.  We created "issues" there exactly like we create "tickets" in Jira.  

Then the dev team worked directly from that issue.  All of the commits, pull requests, etc. happened right there, just like they still do now except it's all hooked up to Jira so we can see the commits/branches.

So when we moved to Jira, we exported all of the issues out of BB/GH and imported them into Jira.  Then closed all of those issues at BB/GH.  So again, now those public repos look sort of dead.  I mean, you can still see that commits are happening on a regular basis, but you can't a backlog anymore.

I'll consider some of your options above and see if I can figure something out.  Thanks again for the feedback.

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2019

My pleasure.

Tenzing Doleck November 11, 2022

@Mario Carabelli 

Under https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request 

Do all projects need to be public or can we just select the ones related to our open source product and make those public. 

I have internal teams using it for internal tasks that i want to keep private

Also this is only supported for basic , what happens if we were to migrate to premium? 

Like Drew Angell likes this
Drew Angell November 11, 2022

I didn't even know they had this option.  I now have the same question(s).

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events