Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Minimum Viable Product (MVP) in JIRA

Deleted user June 25, 2018

In the intention from The Lean Startup, a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) is a version of a  product which allows a team to collect the maximum amount of validated learning about customers with the least effort. In my company MVP concept was strictly built in a hierarchy:  Investments>Opportunities>MVPs>Stories. Different teams started to use different Jira functionalities for managing MVPs. As stories can be grouped to Epics in JIRA, some teams started to treat Epics as MVPs and some teams started to use Versions instead (versions also used for releases). Some teams uses Epics based on Scrum methodology and for them it's an obstacle to use Epics for MVPs tracking, so they ask for additional level in the JIRA issue hierarchy: Investments>Opportunities>MVPs>Epics>Stories. I think we should agree on a common way but hard to decide which way of  managing MVPs would be most effective. Please could you share your experience?

1 comment

Comment

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

You can take a look at JIRA Protfolio to introduce the hierarchy you are talking about.

Investments>Opportunities>MVPs>Epics>Stories

I am not sure what will work best for you as it depends a lot on the process you follow. We do something similar to the above using Portfolio for a few customers. If you do not have Portfolio, you might have to work with the constraints of JIRA Software, by leveraging Epics for MVPs or high level features in the MVP.

I am not a fan of limiting Epics for MVPs but you have to find a way to track them by adding Epics under the so-called Epics.

Like Amy R_ likes this
pratik shah May 20, 2019

You can also use an MVP label and epics as larger buckets to pull from.

Like Amy R_ likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events